Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Closing table borders

Closing table borders

F.C. James

I have worked with this all day and for some reason I can't get the top
of the four columns 11, 22, 33 and 44 to close the gap between the top
of them and the bottom of the header. I don't have any borders,
cellspacing or margin. Why is the backgound bleeding through ?

http://ride.0taxi.com/downyonder/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

F.C. James wrote:

> I have worked with this all day and for some reason I can't get the
> top of the four columns 11, 22, 33 and 44 to close the gap between
> the top of them and the bottom of the header. I don't have any
> borders, cellspacing or margin. Why is the backgound bleeding
> through ?
>
> http://ride.0taxi.com/downyonder/

You have too many errors to make an accurate judgment. HTML:
<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fride.0taxi.com%2F downyonder%2F>

Paste your CSS here:
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/

New pages should be Strict, not Transitional, and you shouldn't be
coding in 1995-style markup.
http://htmldog.com/

--
-bts

the red dot

"F.C. James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VlGvh.35830$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> I have worked with this all day and for some reason I can't get the top
> of the four columns 11, 22, 33 and 44 to close the gap between the top
> of them and the bottom of the header. I don't have any borders,
> cellspacing or margin. Why is the backgound bleeding through ?
>
> http://ride.0taxi.com/downyonder/

did you design it for 1024px or wider , and have you tried reducing the size
of the window to see what happens to the content?

F.C. James

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> F.C. James wrote:
>

>>I have worked with this all day and for some reason I can't get the
>>top of the four columns 11, 22, 33 and 44 to close the gap between
>>the top of them and the bottom of the header. I don't have any
>>borders, cellspacing or margin. Why is the backgound bleeding
>>through ?
>>
>>http://ride.0taxi.com/downyonder/

> You have too many errors to make an accurate judgment. HTML:
> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fride.0taxi.com%2F downyonder%2F>
>
> Paste your CSS here:
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/
>
> New pages should be Strict, not Transitional, and you shouldn't be
> coding in 1995-style markup.
> http://htmldog.com/

I got a lot of warnings because of my use of "background" and
background-color"

So I went to html dog for guidance and they gave me this --

http://htmldog.com/guides/cssintermediate/classid/

#top {background-color: #ccc; padding: 1em}

..intro {color: red; font-weight: bold;}

So I checked it at

http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/csscheck.cgi

And got these warnings.

#

#top { background-color: #ccc; padding: 1em}

Warning: To help avoid conflicts with user style sheets, background and
color properties should be specified together.
#

#top { background-color: #ccc; padding: 1em}

Warning: To help avoid conflicts with user style sheets,
background-image should be specified whenever background-color is used.
In most cases, background-image: none is suitable.
#

background-color: #ccc

Warning: The shorthand background property is more widely supported than
background-color.
#

..intro {color: red;font-weight: bold;}

-----------------------------

Who can you trust ?

F.C. James

the red dot wrote:
> "F.C. James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VlGvh.35830$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>>I have worked with this all day and for some reason I can't get the top
>>of the four columns 11, 22, 33 and 44 to close the gap between the top
>>of them and the bottom of the header. I don't have any borders,
>>cellspacing or margin. Why is the backgound bleeding through ?
>>
>>http://ride.0taxi.com/downyonder/

> did you design it for 1024px or wider , and have you tried reducing the size
> of the window to see what happens to the content?

I squashes it up pretty bad but it doesn't do anything about those white
spaces.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

F.C. James wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> You have too many errors to make an accurate judgment. HTML:
>> <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fride.0taxi.com%2F downyonder%2F>

These errors should probably be addressed prior to CSS warnings.

>> Paste your CSS here:
>> http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/
>>
>> New pages should be Strict, not Transitional, and you shouldn't be
>> coding in 1995-style markup.
>> http://htmldog.com/

> I got a lot of warnings because of my use of "background" and
> background-color"

A warning isn't an error. "brown" is an error, according to the checker.
<g>

> So I went to html dog for guidance and they gave me this -- ...
> And got these warnings.
> Warning: To help avoid conflicts with user style sheets, background and
> color properties should be specified together.

I would not dwell on these warnings for now. The HTML errors are a lot
more important, and should be looked at first.

> Who can you trust ?

Our mothers?

Oh, I notice another inconsistency. You have mixed serif and sans-serif
fonts, and haven't assign the generic fallback.

body { ... font-family: Georgia, Arial, Helvetica; ... }

font-family: Georgia, Times, serif;
or
font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; (less-common first)

--
-bts

F.C. James

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> F.C. James wrote:
>

>>Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>I got a lot of warnings because of my use of "background" and
>>background-color"

> A warning isn't an error. "brown" is an error, according to the checker.
> <g>

OK, I feared disaster.

>>So I went to html dog for guidance and they gave me this -- ...
>>And got these warnings.
>>Warning: To help avoid conflicts with user style sheets, background and
>>color properties should be specified together.

> I would not dwell on these warnings for now. The HTML errors are a lot
> more important, and should be looked at first.

It's embarrassing to collect that many warnings on background alone.
What would be the correct way of making these two statements ?

#name1 {height: 450px; padding: 0; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:
solid #A79372 5px; background-image:url('col.jpg');}

body{background:#DDFFFF ; font-family: Georgia; font-size:100%;}

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

F.C. James wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> A warning isn't an error. "brown" is an error, according to the
>> checker. <g>

> OK, I feared disaster.
>
>> I would not dwell on these warnings for now. The HTML errors are a
>> lot more important, and should be looked at first.

> It's embarrassing to collect that many warnings on background alone.
> What would be the correct way of making these two statements ?
>
> #name1 {height: 450px; padding: 0; margin-left: 10px; border-bottom:
> solid #A79372 5px; background-image:url('col.jpg');}
>
> body{background:#DDFFFF ; font-family: Georgia; font-size:100%;}

body {
background: #dff;
color: #000;
font: 100% Georgia, serif;
}

#name1 {
height: 450px;
padding: 0;
margin-left: 10px;
background: transparent url('col.jpg');
color: #000;
border-bottom: solid #a79372 5px;
}

What is the purpose of "#name1" ? If for holding text, I would switch
to using em units for the height and margins, so that the container
expands and contracts with the text if/when a visitor resizes.

--
-bts

F.C. James

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> F.C. James wrote:

> body {
> background: #dff;
> color: #000;
> font: 100% Georgia, serif;
> }
>
> #name1 {
> height: 450px;
> padding: 0;
> margin-left: 10px;
> background: transparent url('col.jpg');
> color: #000;
> border-bottom: solid #a79372 5px;
> }

Thanks a lot. That does look a lot better.

With those corrections, I can now copy and paste the css into the
validator and I get "NO" errors. If I use the url I still get 16
I'll try and clean up the HTML next.

> What is the purpose of "#name1" ? If for holding text, I would switch
> to using em units for the height and margins, so that the container
> expands and contracts with the text if/when a visitor resizes.

I'm not sure I understand. One bad problem I have is that the text in
the middle table will not stay within the table border to the right when
I resize the browser to 800. I've not seen this happen before. But I
will try and experiment with the em and see if it works.

http://ride.0taxi.com/downyonder/

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "F.C. James"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:wF%vh.11658$(E-Mail Removed):

> the red dot wrote:
>> "F.C. James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:VlGvh.35830$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>I have worked with this all day and for some reason I can't get the
>>>top of the four columns 11, 22, 33 and 44 to close the gap between
>>>the top of them and the bottom of the header. I don't have any
>>>borders, cellspacing or margin. Why is the backgound bleeding
>>>through ?
>>>
>>>http://ride.0taxi.com/downyonder/

>> did you design it for 1024px or wider , and have you tried reducing
>> the size of the window to see what happens to the content?
>>

> I squashes it up pretty bad but it doesn't do anything about those
> white spaces.

You are using/abusing tables for presentation, not for tabular data.
You have white space in your markup, eg:

My crystal ball is in the shop, so that's the best I can do without it -
a URL would help.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services