Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Best syntax for bold <li> "Headings"

Best syntax for bold <li> "Headings"

Andrew

Hi,

Can I have some suggestions for the most syntactically correct way to
make a bold heading within a list item? The page I am working on is:

http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html

I have used the following but I have a few qualms:
<ul>
</ul>

BTW making this page has been the only time I have missed Dreamweaver:
doing long nested lists by hand is a little soul-destroying

Thanks for any advice!

Andrew

--
The STRONG Family Web Site
http://www.strong-family.org

Blinky the Shark

Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I have some suggestions for the most syntactically correct way to
> make a bold heading within a list item? The page I am working on is:
>
> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html
>
> I have used the following but I have a few qualms:
><ul>
></ul>

I'll listen in; I do it the same way you do.

Intersting page. I did some courses on ancient Greece in college, and
recently read a couple of books on ancient Greece (and Egypt and Rome)
as a refresher. Thanks for the link.

OT: So where did the Achilles/Patroclus perhaps-legend come from, and
why is that the only point you claim without support?
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) if you want to go email.

Your "Converting to Linux" (which I use) link is borked.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

K A Nuttall

Andrew wrote:

> Can I have some suggestions for the most syntactically correct
> way to make a bold heading within a list item?

I use a heading tag, outside the list. I assumed this was the
semantically correct way to do it, even though it makes the styling a
bit awkward.

--
K A Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk

Neredbojias

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:13:24 GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

> OT: So where did the Achilles/Patroclus perhaps-legend come from, and
> why is that the only point you claim without support?

When whomever it was got shot in the foot, he yelled out, "Achy heel! Achy
heel!" and they nicknamed him accordingly...

--
Neredbojias

Andrew

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:13:24 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can I have some suggestions for the most syntactically correct way to
>> make a bold heading within a list item? The page I am working on is:
>>
>> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html
>>
>> I have used the following but I have a few qualms:
>><ul>
>></ul>

> I'll listen in; I do it the same way you do.

Seems to be the general consensus, from another reply here and a general
search via Google.

> Intersting page. I did some courses on ancient Greece in college, and
> recently read a couple of books on ancient Greece (and Egypt and Rome)
> as a refresher. Thanks for the link.
>
> OT: So where did the Achilles/Patroclus perhaps-legend come from, and
> why is that the only point you claim without support?
> (E-Mail Removed) if you want to go email.

Achilles / Patroclus I have not yet filled in. I aim to speak a little
about Achilles / Patroclus + Gilgamesh / Enkidu + Frodo / Sam.

> Your "Converting to Linux" (which I use) link is borked.

Still underway. This small site is a tearing down and rebuild of an older
site so it a little messy; hence the free web space, no domain name etc.
I will be writing about Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft

Thanks for your trouble!

Andrew

--
The STRONG Family Web Site
http://www.strong-family.org

Andy Dingley

On 26 Jan, 08:21, K A Nuttall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
> > Can I have some suggestions for the most syntactically correct
> > way to make a bold heading within a list item?

> I use a heading tag, outside the list.

Hard to say, without seeing the code, but doesn't this mean that you've
marked up the whole list (many elements) as _one_ heading?

Is a list element a "heading" anyway? Headings "head" something, they
mark the location of the content itself. A list (such as a chapter
list) isn't a list of "headings", it's a list of references to headings
that exist somewhere else. They're obviously related, they might
contain the same text, it's reasonable to style their presentation
similarly, but semantically they aren't the actual headings.

So I'd apply a class to the <ul> and then use CSS to make them look the
same. I wouldn't apply HTML heading markup to the list of references
though.

Ben C

On 2007-01-26, Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I have some suggestions for the most syntactically correct way to
> make a bold heading within a list item? The page I am working on is:
>
> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html
>
> I have used the following but I have a few qualms:
><ul>
></ul>

Is the qualm that you'd like the heading to be marked as <h1> or
something similar?

What you're doing is described in the CSS 2.1 spec as a "run-in header".

Few browsers support display:run-in, but that doesn't matter, you could
just make your heading <h1> and set ul h1 to display:inline and
font-weight:bolder, maybe using some classes if that selector's too
general.

Andrew

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 05:13:31 -0600, Ben C wrote:

> On 2007-01-26, Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can I have some suggestions for the most syntactically correct way to
>> make a bold heading within a list item? The page I am working on is:
>>
>> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html
>>
>> I have used the following but I have a few qualms:
>><ul>
>></ul>

> Is the qualm that you'd like the heading to be marked as <h1> or
> something similar?
>
> What you're doing is described in the CSS 2.1 spec as a "run-in header".
>
> Few browsers support display:run-in, but that doesn't matter, you could
> just make your heading <h1> and set ul h1 to display:inline and
> font-weight:bolder, maybe using some classes if that selector's too
> general.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for that. Your idea is so clear I am disappointed that I did
not think of it myself. Now that I can see that it can be done quite
easily with a styled heading element I just have to decide if the
gymnastics of doing it this way outweigh the ease of simply using <strong>

Thanks again,

Andrew
--
The STRONG Family Web Site
http://www.strong-family.org

Jonathan N. Little

Andrew wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I have some suggestions for the most syntactically correct way to
> make a bold heading within a list item? The page I am working on is:
>
> http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/homer.html
>
> I have used the following but I have a few qualms:
> <ul>
> </ul>

Well if it is a heading, why is it not a heading? If you want to change
how it looks, jut change the style to suit!

LI H3 { display: inline; }

<ol>
<li><h3>Paris kills Achilles.</h3> According to the urban [...]
<ol>
<li>&quot;Be careful now; for I might be made into [...]</li>
</ol>

> BTW making this page has been the only time I have missed Dreamweaver:
> doing long nested lists by hand is a little soul-destroying

Don't know, I just template and good old cut'n paste or play search and
replace games!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

K A Nuttall

Andy Dingley wrote:

> Hard to say, without seeing the code, but doesn't this mean that
> you've marked up the whole list (many elements) as _one_ heading?

I'm not sure if you're confusing me with the OP. If not, what I meant
was that, when I create a heading for a list, I do not make it part of
the list at all. I create a separate heading, before the list.

Like this:

<h2>Sub heading for list</h2>
<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>