Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Google Groups new interface

Google Groups new interface

Travis Newbury

Here is my review of the new Google Groups interface:

PU. What a sucky interface. Could they have done a worse job?

I would go in to more detail, but I would be using terms like "****",
"****", and "gerbil ass tube races", and there may be minors reading my
post so I don't like to use those words.

Unfortunately, I am forced to use it [google groups] as it is my only
access to usenet from the office.

freemont

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 04:29:34 -0800, Travis Newbury writ:

> Here is my review of the new Google Groups interface:
>
> PU. What a sucky interface. Could they have done a worse job?

They've also changed image search results so that you have to hover over
each item to see the dimensions and URL. Can't understand the thinking
there.

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`ˇ..ˇ¯`ˇ-> freemontŠ <-ˇ¯`ˇ..ˇ¯

Jonathan N. Little

freemont wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 04:29:34 -0800, Travis Newbury writ:
>
>> Here is my review of the new Google Groups interface:
>>
>> PU. What a sucky interface. Could they have done a worse job?

> They've also changed image search results so that you have to hover over
> each item to see the dimensions and URL. Can't understand the thinking
> there.

To make it more difficult, notice I said 'difficult' not impossible, to
select the originating URL and bypass Google's framed version.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Brian Cryer

"Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
<snip>
> Unfortunately, I am forced to use it [google groups] as it is my only
> access to usenet from the office.

I take it that the ISP for your office doesn't provide newsgroup access? or
is there a BOFH blocking it?
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Travis Newbury

On Jan 25, 10:14 am, "Brian Cryer" <brian.cr...@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> "Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...
> <snip>
>
> > Unfortunately, I am forced to use it [google groups] as it is my only
> > access to usenet from the office.I take it that the ISP for your office doesn't provide newsgroup access? or

> is there a BOFH blocking it?

Blocking it, they block everything....

HugeBob

I like the new interface especially the layer displaying all my
subscribed groups. I much prefer this one.

On Jan 25, 7:29 am, "Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here is my review of the new Google Groups interface:
>
> PU. What a sucky interface. Could they have done a worse job?
>
> I would go in to more detail, but I would be using terms like "****",
> "****", and "gerbil ass tube races", and there may be minors reading my
> post so I don't like to use those words.
>
> Unfortunately, I am forced to use it [google groups] as it is my only
> access to usenet from the office.

dorayme

In article <83f22$45b8a7ff$471eef5e$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"freemont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 04:29:34 -0800, Travis Newbury writ:
>
> > Here is my review of the new Google Groups interface:
> >
> > PU. What a sucky interface. Could they have done a worse job?

> They've also changed image search results so that you have to hover over
> each item to see the dimensions and URL. Can't understand the thinking
> there.

Less clutter is the idea. You see the info when you are
interested in the pic. You show interest by hovering hesitantly
over it.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <96c95$45b8c0ad$40cba7bf$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> freemont wrote:
> > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 04:29:34 -0800, Travis Newbury writ:
> >
> >> Here is my review of the new Google Groups interface:
> >>
> >> PU. What a sucky interface. Could they have done a worse job?

> > They've also changed image search results so that you have to hover over
> > each item to see the dimensions and URL. Can't understand the thinking
> > there.

> To make it more difficult, notice I said 'difficult' not impossible, to
> select the originating URL and bypass Google's framed version.

Jonathan, you _are_ such a cynic! "Less clutter" explanation is
not just being nice. Notice how OP leads you to bring out that
irritation: "so that you have to hover over each item to see the
dimensions and URL" suggesting in the language an image of doing
it to every image. The reality is that there may be 1 or 2 pics
every 2 or 3 pages at most that catch your eye. So, for the
fussy, a good thing I say.

--
dorayme