Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Regarding linking to folders/files in the hosting environment!

Regarding linking to folders/files in the hosting environment!

tosumanthkrishna@gmail.com

Hi all,
I hope someone can clear my doubt. This is regarding the
downloadable files. I want to provide few downloadable files and
instead of storing just the url's, I am storing the files in my remote
folders in the hosting environment and want to give a link from the
front end of the application so that user can download them. But I
checked out that javascript: window.open can open only url's but not
these folders that I have outside my application.
Please let me know how do I redirect/connect/link from my
application to these files and make them available for users on one
click.

This is critical for my work! Any help is useful.

Thanks,
Sumanth.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> Hi all,
> I hope someone can clear my doubt. This is regarding the
> downloadable files. I want to provide few downloadable files and
> instead of storing just the url's, I am storing the files in my remote
> folders in the hosting environment and want to give a link from the
> front end of the application so that user can download them. But I
> checked out that javascript: window.open can open only url's but not
> these folders that I have outside my application.
> Please let me know how do I redirect/connect/link from my
> application to these files and make them available for users on one
> click.
>
> This is critical for my work! Any help is useful.

Any help? OK...

You can put the downloadable docs and pdfs and .ppt and whatever
you want in a folder on your server. You can provide a simple
link to these items by normal html anchor. You can tell or not
tell your readers to click once, twice or right or control click
and save or whatever. The fact is that some people with some
browser set ups can click once and see some things right there in
their browsers, others will have an app like Adobe Reader get
triggered and file opens in that app outside browser, others need
to save it to disk and open it separately. I don't know anything
about all the other stuff you mention.

You can see one example of what I am talking about at

<http://tvrs.org.au/docs/docs.html>

This may or may not be helpful to you or give you ideas.

--
dorayme