Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > line up the right side.

line up the right side.

Dave Kelly

The code is here: http://home.earthlink.net/~daveekelly/pop-page1.htm

How do I get the right side to line up neater? This looks awful.

I have used the width="100%", but I think I am up against the wall that
the browser sets the max number of characters that 100% can represent.

I also don't have anything but a linux system to view this with. How
does it layout in IE? It validated with W3C.

TIA
Dave

--
A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

Ben C

On 2007-01-20, Dave Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The code is here: http://home.earthlink.net/~daveekelly/pop-page1.htm
>
> How do I get the right side to line up neater? This looks awful.

You can put the whole lot in a <div style="text-align: right">, but then
the left side won't be lined up right.

> I have used the width="100%", but I think I am up against the wall that
> the browser sets the max number of characters that 100% can represent.

Not quite sure what you mean, but it seems from your page like you want
to extend the textareas at the end of each line to the end of the line.

There are several problems with width="100%" on an input.

First, input has no width attribute in HTML. You could use style="width:
100%", but that would set the width of the input to 100% the width of
the container, inevitably putting it on a new line rather than extending
it to the end of the current line.

Aligning the inputs by extending them is not easy. There is no way in
CSS to set the width of an inline-block automatically to the distance
between where it starts (determined by the text and inlines preceding
it) and the end of the line.

The easiest way to get it all to line up is to use a table, as you have
done a bit further down the page.

dorayme

In article
<Ogwsh.13547$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
Dave Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The code is here: http://home.earthlink.net/~daveekelly/pop-page1.htm
>
> How do I get the right side to line up neater? This looks awful.
>
> I have used the width="100%", but I think I am up against the wall that
> the browser sets the max number of characters that 100% can represent.
>
> I also don't have anything but a linux system to view this with. How
> does it layout in IE? It validated with W3C.

Is this some form for printing?

You should really get rid of all the inline styles, all, &nbsp
and make a clean break between the html and the css.

Personally, I would forget nearly all the "center" styling and
even forcing any widths like 100% in general.

You could lay out in a table, easier to understand and implement.
Put the set text in a col on left, and input a col on right. The
magic of tables will do the rest for you. At least it won't look
such a mess. And you can tweak things with css. For example you
might want to right align the set text in the cells so they all
line up neat on the right just before input col. Ragged right
edge to the page does not matter. it is just that your page is a
bit higgledy piggledy in other ways.

These are just some quick remarks and lightly said. If you or
others don't like them, fine, freedom is a good thing and have a
nice day.

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

Dave Kelly wrote:
> The code is here: http://home.earthlink.net/~daveekelly/pop-page1.htm

<snip>
> I also don't have anything but a linux system to view this with. How
> does it layout in IE? It validated with W3C.

How can you have form INPUT elements without a FORM element? Valid are
you sure?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Dave Kelly

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> How can you have form INPUT elements without a FORM element? Valid are
> you sure?

This is all new to me as far as terminology goes. I am not sure what you
mean but I think this will answer you question. I tend to take
things like this in stages. For now, I am working on how it will look on
the screen.

For Ben and Dorame..........................
I will work on what ya'll suggest and get back. It may be tomorrow or
next weekend. I have no deadline on this project.

Thanks all, for your feedback.
Dave

--

Dave Kelly wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> How can you have form INPUT elements without a FORM element? Valid are
>> you sure?
>>

> This is all new to me as far as terminology goes. I am not sure what you
> mean but I think this will answer you question. I tend to take things
> like this in stages. For now, I am working on how it will look on the
> screen.
>
> For Ben and Dorame..........................
> I will work on what ya'll suggest and get back. It may be tomorrow or
> next weekend. I have no deadline on this project.

See:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html

Inputs such as text boxes, check boxes, radio, submit button... need to
be in a FORM element to send the data to some script, else they do nothing.

Basic example

<form action="RequiredReceivingScript.cgi" method="post">
<fieldset> <!-- some block element P or DIV would also do -->
<legend>Log In</legend>
<label for="uid">Your User Name:</label>
<input name="uid" id="uid" type="text" size="10">
<label for="pwd">Password:</label>
<input name="pwd" id="pwd" type="password" size="10">
<input type="submit" value="Log In">
</fieldset>
</form>

Upon click the submit button the script "RequiredReceivingScript.cgi"
would receive two name|value pairs for "uid" and "pwd".

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

dorayme

In article <b32f4$45b2c287$40cba7bc$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Inputs such as text boxes, check boxes, radio, submit button... need to
> be in a FORM element to send the data to some script, else they do nothing.

I could swear that text appeared when I typed in his boxes...
that's not exactly nothing. It should print? As I asked him, what
is this all for?

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme wrote:
> In article <b32f4$45b2c287$40cba7bc$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Inputs such as text boxes, check boxes, radio, submit button... need to
>> be in a FORM element to send the data to some script, else they do nothing.

> I could swear that text appeared when I typed in his boxes...
> that's not exactly nothing. It should print? As I asked him, what
> is this all for?

Well yeah, you can put data in input elements, but without a form
element to cannot send the data anywhere to do anything useful with it.
Like a door on a wall with no room on the other side but another wall.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

dorayme wrote:
> In article <b32f4$45b2c287$40cba7bc$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Inputs such as text boxes, check boxes, radio, submit button... need to
>> be in a FORM element to send the data to some script, else they do nothing.

> I could swear that text appeared when I typed in his boxes...
> that's not exactly nothing. It should print? As I asked him, what
> is this all for?

This is for an online report for when the members of the fishing club I
belong to want to recommend/ not recommend a fishing guide they hired
somewhere in the world.

It is my intention that the finished product will be filled out online
and read online. Although, some browsers may allow a right click -
select all - copy to clip board. Where you will be able to print it.

I did see your question on my first read through, but in my zeal to try
some of the suggestion, I forgot to answer. Sorry about that.

I have not tried to create anything to sent the data to the server for
storage or try to display it. That comes after I get the input screen
looking right.

Thanks for the feedback.
Dave

--

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Like a door on a wall with no room on the other side but another wall.

I built one of those once. But the most fun I had was building a hidden
door to a wine cellar that was a full functioning book case. The handle
was a brass replica of the "Maltese Falcon".

--
A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.