Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Print specific info

Print specific info

Charl

Hi All,

I am designing printer friendly page for my website and would like to
know if there is a way to add a next and print button to the web page
but it should not show on my print out.

Thanks

Arjen

Charl schreef:
> Hi All,
>
> I am designing printer friendly page for my website and would like to
> know if there is a way to add a next and print button to the web page
> but it should not show on my print out.
>
> Thanks

Create a stylesheet for the printer.
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="print.css" media="print" />

Use display:none; for unwanted objects

--
Arjen
http://www.hondenpage.com - Mijn site over honden

The Eclectic Electric

"Charl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I am designing printer friendly page for my website and would like to
> know if there is a way to add a next and print button to the web page
> but it should not show on my print out.
>
> Thanks

Are you using CSS? If so, you could add a print-specific style sheet that
changes the buttons' display property to "none".

In your page:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="print.css" media="print" />
<input ... class = "printhide">

In your CSS:
..printhide
{
display: none;
}

+e

Jonathan N. Little

Charl wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am designing printer friendly page for my website and would like to
> know if there is a way to add a next

The print stylesheet has already been addressed, but a "next button"?
Next what?

> and print button to the web page
> but it should not show on my print out.

The browser has one, at least all the modern ones! Why would you need to
add one? To do so requires JavaScript.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Arjen

Jonathan N. Little schreef:
> Charl wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am designing printer friendly page for my website and would like to
>> know if there is a way to add a next

> The print stylesheet has already been addressed, but a "next button"?
> Next what?

Next button :-p

>> and print button to the web page
>> but it should not show on my print out.

> The browser has one, at least all the modern ones! Why would you need to
> add one? To do so requires JavaScript.

This might be debatable but personally I like a print button on a page
that needs to be printed (confirmaton page or route planner etc)

--

Arjen wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little schreef:
>> Charl wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am designing printer friendly page for my website and would like to
>>> know if there is a way to add a next

>> The print stylesheet has already been addressed, but a "next button"?
>> Next what?

> Next button :-p

It's on the browser, and it is not valid unless your have hit the back
button first!

>>> and print button to the web page
>>> but it should not show on my print out.

>> The browser has one, at least all the modern ones! Why would you need to
>> add one? To do so requires JavaScript.

> This might be debatable but personally I like a print button on a page
> that needs to be printed (confirmaton page or route planner etc)

1) requires JavaScript enabled (it I put one on a page I firstly insert
"link|button" with JavaScript so it will not appear when not available
and secondly make not printable in CSS)

2) How about <p>[Print this page for your records]</p> ?
2a) Send client a receipt email (what I do) for his records
automatically...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Michael Fesser

..oO(Jonathan N. Little)

>Arjen wrote:
>
>> Next button :-p

>It's on the browser, and it is not valid unless your have hit the back
>button first!

For browsers that support it there is also

6.12 Link types
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links

But most likely that's not what the OP wants ...

>> This might be debatable but personally I like a print button on a page
>> that needs to be printed (confirmaton page or route planner etc)

>1) requires JavaScript enabled (it I put one on a page I firstly insert
>"link|button" with JavaScript so it will not appear when not available
>and secondly make not printable in CSS)

It also requires a browser that supports JS-invoked printing.
Most do, but not all.

Micha

Jonathan N. Little

Michael Fesser wrote:
> .oO(Jonathan N. Little)
>
>> Arjen wrote:
>>
>>> Next button :-p

>> It's on the browser, and it is not valid unless your have hit the back
>> button first!

> For browsers that support it there is also
>
> 6.12 Link types
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links
>
> But most likely that's not what the OP wants ...

I like them and use them, but OP's UA is

UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR
1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

I am sure he is totally unaware of their existence and therefore did not
mention them. Also PITA to statically code them, server-side CMS it is a
breeze...

>>> This might be debatable but personally I like a print button on a page
>>> that needs to be printed (confirmaton page or route planner etc)

>> 1) requires JavaScript enabled (it I put one on a page I firstly insert
>> "link|button" with JavaScript so it will not appear when not available
>> and secondly make not printable in CSS)

> It also requires a browser that supports JS-invoked printing.
> Most do, but not all.

Hence my opposition to the idea.

--
Take care,