Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Getting a link to open in a new window.

Getting a link to open in a new window.

Mike Azzopardi

Hi

I'm hoping i have a rather straightforward problem. i want to open a
link in a new window but the link is a flash button object as per here:

http://www.soundaid.org/test2.htm

i have tried using "_blank" but it doesn't seem to work with it like
the
normal <A> links. I need the click on the button to open the refering
page in a new window. Unfortunately i am unable to edit the flash
object
as it was written by someone else.

Please could someone help me make the link open in a new window?

best regards
mike

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Mike Azzopardi" <mikeazzo22
@hotmail.com> writing in news:1168719615.902406.11130
@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

> Hi
>
> I'm hoping i have a rather straightforward problem. i want to open a
> link in a new window but the link is a flash button object as per

here:

> http://www.soundaid.org/test2.htm

Do you have an alternative for those who do not have flash available?

> i have tried using "_blank" but it doesn't seem to work with it like
> the
> normal <A> links.

Thank &Diety!

> I need the click on the button to open the refering
> page in a new window.

If it is for your browser, then that might be a valid statement. I do
not need to do that.

> Unfortunately i am unable to edit the flash
> object as it was written by someone else.

You could ask the person nicely if they would edit it for you, or, you
could just be happy like I am that the link opens in the same window.

> Please could someone help me make the link open in a new window?

No, I will not help you, but I will tell you some reasons why opening
new windows is not a good idea.
1. It breaks the back button
2. For people who use mousegestures, the backspace key, etc, and may not
look up to see if the back button is disabled, it's a PITA. You spend
all that time gesturing or hitting the backspace key, only to find out
that you CAN'T go back, because the darned thing is BROKEN.
3. I am perfectly capable opening links in a new window, should I decide
to do so. Please don't make decisions for me, I'm over three years old.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"Mike Azzopardi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm hoping i have a rather straightforward problem. i want to open a
> link in a new window but the link is a flash button object as per here:
>

> http://www.soundaid.org/test2.htm
>
> i have tried using "_blank" but it doesn't seem to work with it like
> the
> normal <A> links.

The url above shows none of your efforts. There is not an anchor
in site (there is a lot of really horrible html style
instructions - if the last bits are removed, exposed is the flash
object as a horrible blinking one, I prefer the faulty end
snippets of style...)

The link is embedded in the Flash. Why not put a real html link
underneath this "object" that says "No, click here instead!" and
then you can _blank and whatever you like to your heart's content
and it should direct to another window.

--
dorayme