Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 'clear' help needed

'clear' help needed

mbstevens

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:43:28 +0000, mbstevens wrote:

>>> <http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/vad.html>

> Oh, I see what you're saying now. You want the text following each
> individual image to move down. Yes, that's a nice enhancement.

....except that the hard coded paragraph height worries me a bit.
Maybe there's some way around that.

Bergamot

mbstevens wrote:

> Those images are not headers.

I don't entirely agree with that statement, but no matter. They sure
aren't paragraphs.

The image is just a link to another image. Technically, alt text isn't
even necessary, since it's all transcribed in the page text.

--
Berg

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Oh, I see what you're saying now. You want the text following each
> > individual image to move down. Yes, that's a nice enhancement.

> ...except that the hard coded paragraph height worries me a bit.
> Maybe there's some way around that.

I agree, I added that bit only at the last minute because the
images, being longer than text, get butted up to each other,
bottom to top in Safari, Firefox, (but not Opera or iCab) and
looked bad. So chose something longer than the images for p
height. But if the images are all different sizes, you are right,
this is a bore and unwieldy and especially if the text is
variable and may be added to etc.

But there is a simple solution, come to think of it, remove
height and put in a bottom margin for the img, I will update in a
minute...

Remember the magic of tables for all this? Before the time one
could be shot on site ... er... I mean, sight. <g>

--
dorayme

mbstevens

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:52:27 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> But there is a simple solution, come to think of it, remove
> height and put in a bottom margin for the img, I will update in a
> minute...

Cool! Works great here.

> Remember the magic of tables for all this? Before the time one
> could be shot on site ... er... I mean, sight. <g>

If each image should actually be associated with the text that comes
after, I don't see why this could not be interpreted as tabular data. It
all depends on the intent of the author.

al jones

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:15:46 GMT, mbstevens wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:52:27 +1100, dorayme wrote:
>
>> But there is a simple solution, come to think of it, remove
>> height and put in a bottom margin for the img, I will update in a
>> minute...

> Cool! Works great here.
>

>> Remember the magic of tables for all this? Before the time one
>> could be shot on site ... er... I mean, sight. <g>

> If each image should actually be associated with the text that comes
> after, I don't see why this could not be interpreted as tabular data. It
> all depends on the intent of the author.

The OP is engulfing a hamburger - but have read what you two put together
and will shortly go back and see if it makes sense when I try to implement
it.

Thanks guys!! //al

dorayme

In article <1rrck50p8fio6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
al jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:15:46 GMT, mbstevens wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:52:27 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> The OP is engulfing a hamburger - but have read what you two put together
> and will shortly go back and see if it makes sense when I try to implement
> it.

Trust us, it makes sense.

Either you are not an American, or are a very big American or the
hamburger is not American for you to be able to engulf it.
Anthony Quinn, a strong man in the marvellous Fellini film, La
Strada, memorably engulfed an ice-cream cone.

Talking of Fellini, where the hell is Luigi?

--
dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme wrote:

> Talking of Fellini, where the hell is Luigi?

Oh no!

(He's still mucking about with his web site...
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/en/welcome.php )

--
-bts

dorayme

In article
<4bCoh.352705$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Talking of Fellini, where the hell is Luigi?

> Oh no!
>
> (He's still mucking about with his web site...
> https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/en/welcome.php )

<g>

How to get rid of the little blue boxes that appear near the
buttons at top please? Do you like my buttons? Do you want me to
tell you what the answer to the question just under the buttons?
Do you know Tasmania? Are you all having a nice day and realising
that freedom is very important? I will come back more often if
you are nicer to me.

Luigi

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, al jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> vouchsafed:

> Hey, guys, stop hijacking my thread!!! <chuckle>
>
> If you all have so much time on your hands would you mind looking at
> http://aljones.us/630817vad.html and seeing if you can help me get the
> images aligned on the left hand edge - regardlwss of the size of the
> viewport. I've gotten several suggestions, but none seem to work
> correctly in all situations and I've gotten a royal headache from it.

Check out this page (to wit, the source):

http://www.neredbojias.com/beta/mars.html#p1

I haven't dug into your particular problems but was experiencing similar
ones when I did that.

(PS: The "beta" is irrelevant.)

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

al jones

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 11:21:29 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> In article <1rrck50p8fio6$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> al jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 23:15:46 GMT, mbstevens wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:52:27 +1100, dorayme wrote:

>> The OP is engulfing a hamburger - but have read what you two put together
>> and will shortly go back and see if it makes sense when I try to implement
>> it.

> Trust us, it makes sense.

No, it doesn't ....More at end.

> Either you are not an American, or are a very big American or the
> hamburger is not American for you to be able to engulf it.
> Anthony Quinn, a strong man in the marvellous Fellini film, La
> Strada, memorably engulfed an ice-cream cone.

Americano, si! I was figuratively 'engulfing' hamburger - hadn't had a
chance to eat anything so wasn't taking much time getting it down ....
sheesh! Pedant!!!!!

> Talking of Fellini, where the hell is Luigi?

No se, and I don't think I want to! ((This is what I get for living in
Texas ...))

Okay, take a look at aljones.us/vad.htm which is based on your latest.

For each image I will probably have three different h3 / p pairs (the date
and associated text). If it were to do what I'm trying to achieve, Your
line 'Meyer quote' and my line 'heading test' would both be to the right of
the (supposedly) associated image With the releated text immediately below
them.

Enclosing the image within the p associates it, seemingly, with only that
paragraph and the following two paragraphhs fall beneath the image.

If I'm not missing the obvious .... I *am* getting a royal headache.

//al