Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > form posted fields disappear when posting from secure to a non-secure page

form posted fields disappear when posting from secure to a non-secure page

wolfing1@gmail.com

Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page, the
posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from nonsecure to
secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or should it happen?
(I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)

Harlan Messinger

> Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
> thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page, the
> posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from nonsecure to
> secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or should it happen?
> (I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)

I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
http://www.example.com is a different website from
https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them knows
about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the other.

wolfing1@gmail.com

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
> > thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page, the
> > posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from nonsecure to
> > secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or should it happen?
> > (I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)
> >

> I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
> variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
> http://www.example.com is a different website from
> https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them knows
> about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the other.

No, I mean form fields. Like
Page 1 (secure):
<form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
<input type="text" name="emailaddress">
<input type="submit" ...>
</form>

In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
request.form("emailaddress")) is blank

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Harlan Messinger wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > Not sure if this question is related to HTML or if it's an ASP
>> > thing, but when I post a form in a secure page to a nonsecure page,
>> > the posted fields come in as blank (this doesn't happen from
>> > nonsecure to secure). Is this something I can fix somehow? Or
>> > should it happen? (I'm trying to use POST method for all my pages)
>> >

>> I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
>> variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
>> http://www.example.com is a different website from
>> https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them
>> knows about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the
>> other.

> No, I mean form fields. Like
> Page 1 (secure):
><form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
><input type="text" name="emailaddress">
><input type="submit" ...>
></form>
>
> In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
> request.form("emailaddress")) is blank

What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?

<%
For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
Next
%>

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

wolfing1@gmail.com

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>

> > Harlan Messinger wrote:
> >> >

> >> I don't know how you're doing this, but if you're relying on Session
> >> variables to persist data from one page to the next, you can't.
> >> http://www.example.com is a different website from
> >> https://www.example.com, and none of the pages on either of them
> >> knows about any data you've stored in Session on pages from the
> >> other.

> > No, I mean form fields. Like
> > Page 1 (secure):
> ><form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
> ><input type="text" name="emailaddress">
> ><input type="submit" ...>
> ></form>
> >
> > In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
> > request.form("emailaddress")) is blank
> >

> What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?
>
> <%
> For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
> field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
> InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
> response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
> Next
> %>

If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from a
nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

page,

pages)

Session
>> > No, I mean form fields. Like
>> > Page 1 (secure):
>> ><form name="bleh" method="post" action="/pages/test.asp">
>> ><input type="text" name="emailaddress">
>> ><input type="submit" ...>
>> ></form>
>> >
>> > In test.asp the value of the field 'emailaddress' (as in
>> > request.form("emailaddress")) is blank
>> >

>> What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?
>>
>> <%
>> For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
>> field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
>> InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
>> response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
>> Next
>> %>
>>

> If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from a
> nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.

What is the value of the action attribute of the form element? You need
to specify https there as well, eg:

<form method="post" action="https://www.example.com/form.asp">

--

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:
>

> > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> page,

> pages)

> Session

> >> What happens if you do this on the page that is losing the data?
> >>
> >> <%
> >> For ix = 1 to Request.Form.Count
> >> field = Request.Form.Key(ix)
> >> InputValue = Request.Form.Item(ix)
> >> response.write field & " = " & InputValue & "<br />"
> >> Next
> >> %>
> >>

> > If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from a
> > nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.
> >

> What is the value of the action attribute of the form element? You need
> to specify https there as well, eg:
>
> <form method="post" action="https://www.example.com/form.asp">

But the page I'm posting to is not secure.
Basically, the field and form are part of a page header which all my
pages share with a 'search' field. So, when someone enters a word here
and presses the 'go' button, the value is (or should be) posted to the
'search_results' page which does the searching and shows the results.
So, the callling page could be secure or not, and the action for the
form would be 'http:' since the "search results" page is not secure.
But what I found is that, when I do it from a non-secure page the field
goes fine, but when I do it from a secure page, the field goes blank.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (E-Mail Removed) writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

>> > If I enter from a secure page, the field is blank. If I enter from

>> > nonsecure page, the field has the value entered.
>> >

>> What is the value of the action attribute of the form element? You

need
>> to specify https there as well, eg:
>>
>> <form method="post" action="https://www.example.com/form.asp">
>>

> But the page I'm posting to is not secure.
> Basically, the field and form are part of a page header which all my
> pages share with a 'search' field. So, when someone enters a word here
> and presses the 'go' button, the value is (or should be) posted to the
> 'search_results' page which does the searching and shows the results.
> So, the callling page could be secure or not, and the action for the
> form would be 'http:' since the "search results" page is not secure.
> But what I found is that, when I do it from a non-secure page the

field
> goes fine, but when I do it from a secure page, the field goes blank.

Then you have to determine whether or not you are on a secure page.

<% if request.servervariables("HTTPS") = "off" then
serverswitch = "HTTPS"
else
serverswitch = "HTTP"
end if

formaction = serverswith & request.servervariables("script_name")
if request.servervariables("querystring") <> "" then
formaction = formaction & "?" & request.servervariables
("quertystring")
else
formaction = formaction
end if
%>

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:Xns98B3C5AE31FEarbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121:

> ("quertystring")

querystring not queRtystring