Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > (OT?)To test links in my HTML composition

(OT?)To test links in my HTML composition

MalcolmP

Apologies if this is off topic for this group,
I am sure you knowlegeable people will either know the answer or point me
to the right group ! Thanks :-

I have locally on my HDrive a draft website, all handcrafted in fairly
simple HTML in notepad (I'm still learning !) and all contained in a
hierarchy under a 'master' folder which contains the index page (ie. all
locally referenced)
Is there a method/program that I can use to check that all the linked pages
and pictures exist in the right folders/subfolders and etc ?
ie. a local spider I suppose.

I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

TIA.

Spartanicus

MalcolmP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have Googled for link checkers

Really?

>but they all seem to be for checking the
>website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

When I Google for "link checker" the third search result (*) does what
you want.

(*) A search result does not include "sponsored links".

--
Spartanicus

MalcolmP

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:42:29 +0000, Spartanicus wrote:
> Really?
>
>>but they all seem to be for checking the
>>website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

> When I Google for "link checker" the third search result (*) does what
> you want.
>
> (*) A search result does not include "sponsored links".

Really !! well, the 3rd result on my search was
(Quote)
Link Popularity Check
Check your site's link popularity with search engines.
www.linkpopularitycheck.com/
(/Quote)
Which is actually returning a site not found/timed out error, (( but I
dont think from the sound of it is quite what I want !!

So, please, pretty please, could you be a little more specific ? !
Buy u a virtual beer ,,, :-!)

MalcolmP

Ooops,
quoted the wrong one, got my eyes xxed this was my 3rd :
Link Popularity Check - Marketleap Search Engine Marketing Tools

Still doesnt sound like what I need.

BUT the W3C sounds like a gudun, xcept that it is all in tarballs and perls
and stuff that I dont know how to use

Perhaps i should have said that I am using WindowsME ?

Rick Brandt

"MalcolmP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1k1vb03mveyov.1amms4pt6dq8u$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:42:29 +0000, Spartanicus wrote:
>> Really?
>>
>>>but they all seem to be for checking the
>>>website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

>> When I Google for "link checker" the third search result (*) does what
>> you want.
>>
>> (*) A search result does not include "sponsored links".

> Really !! well, the 3rd result on my search was
> (Quote)
> Link Popularity Check
> Check your site's link popularity with search engines.
> www.linkpopularitycheck.com/
> (/Quote)
> Which is actually returning a site not found/timed out error, (( but I
> dont think from the sound of it is quite what I want !!
>
> So, please, pretty please, could you be a little more specific ? !
> Buy u a virtual beer ,,, :-!)

That is the third link returned for "link check", not for "link checker".

Sally Thompson

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:53:39 +0000, MalcolmP wrote
(in article <1fm21n6vg8u0y$.1b8y5pvmkpvxl$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Ooops,
> quoted the wrong one, got my eyes xxed this was my 3rd :
> Link Popularity Check - Marketleap Search Engine Marketing Tools
>
> Still doesnt sound like what I need.
>
> BUT the W3C sounds like a gudun, xcept that it is all in tarballs and perls
> and stuff that I dont know how to use
>
> Perhaps i should have said that I am using WindowsME ?

I'll be kind . Google for Xenu link checker - or just Xenu.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

David Segall

MalcolmP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Apologies if this is off topic for this group,
>I am sure you knowlegeable people will either know the answer or point me
>to the right group ! Thanks :-
>
>I have locally on my HDrive a draft website, all handcrafted in fairly
>simple HTML in notepad (I'm still learning !) and all contained in a
>hierarchy under a 'master' folder which contains the index page (ie. all
>locally referenced)
>Is there a method/program that I can use to check that all the linked pages
>and pictures exist in the right folders/subfolders and etc ?
>ie. a local spider I suppose.
>
>I have Googled for link checkers but they all seem to be for checking the
>website when it is 'live' on the internet, not locally on one's own HDrive.

I use Dreamweaver <http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/> which
checks the links as you specify them. So, if you specify the link as
images/mypicture.gif that is what it checks, relative to the "current"
page wherever it is. If you specify the link as
http://www.ibm.com/index.html then that is what it checks. Dreamweaver
is relatively expensive and is much more than a link checker but you
can download the free trial and check your links. I am surprised that
other desktop link checkers don't work in the same way.

MalcolmP

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:27:48 +0000, Sally Thompson wrote:

> I'll be kind .

Thank you so much, you've just restored my faith in humanity ! (**)

> Google for Xenu link checker - or just Xenu.

Thanks, got it, I'll try it in a minute,

(,,,or later cos I've just consumed a couple of Laphroaigs -spoils of Xmas
past- in an attempt to calm down and not be rude(3) back to the
Bent&Spartan ones! (2)(insert seperscript) )

Malcolm,
SW England

--------- Cut here and dispose ------------
** PS (2) what is a nice person like you doing here amongst the likes of
them !?LOL
Now where was I 3hrs ago ,,, mumble ,,,
AI bots ,, mutter,,,
I=NOT inteligence
grrrr
(3) oh drat !!

MalcolmP

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 17:27:48 +0000, Sally Thompson wrote:
> I'll be kind . Google for Xenu link checker - or just Xenu.

Thank you, nice find,
worked a treat,
and all put to bed now.

Best Wishes for your New Year