Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > List of Common Escape Entities??

List of Common Escape Entities??

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Andrew wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
> escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc. I
> am really after a reference list to hang on my wall of those that I
> would commonly use for an XHTML strict page.
>
> Can anyone direct me to such a list?

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

The entities are the same for XHTML as for HTML.

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Andy Dingley

Kim André Akerĝ wrote:

> Andrew wrote:

> > I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
> > escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc.

> > Can anyone direct me to such a list?

There's only one place for the authoritative list, the W3C. Anything
else is merely a re-statement of this.

HTML
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html

XHTML
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-A2

I'd also post the regular reminder that you shouldn't use XHTML on the
web and that you mustn't use XHTML on the web unless you really
understand it.

> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_entities.asp

Don't trust w3schools to be correct on anything particularly detailed.

> The entities are the same for XHTML as for HTML.

They're not, most obviously because of ' as it just didn't exist
in HTML. Yes, this means that you should use ' instead of '
when authoring Appendix C XHTML for the web.

Andrew

Hi,

I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc. I
am really after a reference list to hang on my wall of those that I
would commonly use for an XHTML strict page.

Can anyone direct me to such a list?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:32:05 -0800, Andrew
<sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
> I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
>escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc. I
>am really after a reference list to hang on my wall of those that I
>would commonly use for an XHTML strict page.
>
> Can anyone direct me to such a list?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Hmmmm.......

On further reading it looks like that would actually be a rather
short list to maximise wider support?

Andrew

Jeff Bowman

"Andrew" <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have spent some time looking for a page with a list of common
> escape entities for such things as ampersand, quotation marks etc. I
> am really after a reference list to hang on my wall of those that I
> would commonly use for an XHTML strict page.
>
> Can anyone direct me to such a list?

Hi Andrew, try here:

http://blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/text.htm

--
We're losing America. To see how you can help
get her back, visit www.FreedomToFascism.com.