Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Flash, ActiveX, Shockwave Etc...

Flash, ActiveX, Shockwave Etc...

galt_57@hotmail.com

Is this stuff justified? I usually find it annoying and keep it
disabled.

cwdjrxyz

> Is this stuff justified? I usually find it annoying and keep it
> disabled.

I depends on what kind of site you have. For instance, flash clips(or
wmv, rm, etc) of movies are very necessary if you are trying to sell
videos on a site such as Netflix. They also are handy to demonstrate
how many other products look and work. If properly designed, they just
will not show if not supported or turned off, so someone can buy the
widget from the description only. Then for many private web sites they
may be quite useful, depending on your interest. At least in the US,
well over half of net users are connected with broadband. Thus most
will be able to turn on well designed media displays without undue
delay. It is nice to use a button to allow the media to be turned on
rather than autostarting, which can annoy many. Many flash displays are
set to autostart, but this need not be the case.

Travis Newbury

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is this stuff justified? I usually find it annoying and keep it
> disabled.

If you don' t like it, then turn it off. Pretty simple eh? The sites
that use it won't miss you

galt_57@hotmail.com

Travis Newbury wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Is this stuff justified? I usually find it annoying and keep it
> > disabled.

> If you don' t like it, then turn it off. Pretty simple eh? The sites
> that use it won't miss you

That's good, because they won't get my business.

galt_57@hotmail.com

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Is this stuff justified? I usually find it annoying and keep it
> > disabled.

> I depends on what kind of site you have. For instance, flash clips(or
> wmv, rm, etc) of movies are very necessary if you are trying to sell
> videos on a site such as Netflix. They also are handy to demonstrate
> how many other products look and work. If properly designed, they just
> will not show if not supported or turned off, so someone can buy the
> widget from the description only. Then for many private web sites they
> may be quite useful, depending on your interest. At least in the US,
> well over half of net users are connected with broadband. Thus most
> will be able to turn on well designed media displays without undue
> delay. It is nice to use a button to allow the media to be turned on
> rather than autostarting, which can annoy many. Many flash displays are
> set to autostart, but this need not be the case.

Ok, but why not something much simpler such as animated Gif's and
Mpeg's?

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "(E-Mail Removed)" <galt_57
@hotmail.com> vouchsafed:

> Is this stuff justified? I usually find it annoying and keep it
> disabled.

Ditto. 'Tis best had it not been installed in the first place. It's sort
of like converting a girlfriend into a wife...

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.

Travis Newbury

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > If you don' t like it, then turn it off. Pretty simple eh? The sites
> > that use it won't miss you

> That's good, because they won't get my business.

And they are weeping right about now I am sure...

Travis Newbury

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > Is this stuff justified? I usually find it annoying and keep it
> > > disabled.

> > I depends on what kind of site you have...

> Ok, but why not something much simpler such as animated Gif's and
> Mpeg's?

Only someone ignorant of Flash would ask that.

Travis Newbury

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Is this stuff justified? I usually find it annoying and keep it
> > disabled.

> I depends on what kind of site you have. For instance, flash clips(or
> wmv, rm, etc) of movies are very necessary if you are trying to sell
> videos on a site such as Netflix. They also are handy to demonstrate
> how many other products look and work. If properly designed, they just
> will not show if not supported or turned off, so someone can buy the
> widget from the description only. Then for many private web sites they
> may be quite useful, depending on your interest. At least in the US,
> well over half of net users are connected with broadband. Thus most
> will be able to turn on well designed media displays without undue
> delay. It is nice to use a button to allow the media to be turned on
> rather than autostarting, which can annoy many. Many flash displays are
> set to autostart, but this need not be the case.

One other point. A lot of people ENJOY Flash and WANT it. Everyone
seems to forget that.

Andy Dingley

Travis Newbury wrote:

> > Ok, but why not something much simpler such as animated Gif's and
> > Mpeg's?

> Only someone ignorant of Flash would ask that.

Merry Christmas Travis, I'm going to agree with you here!

(My new year's resolution will of course be to never have that happen
again)

Shockwave installs but doesn't run in Firefox only IE Kurt Krueckeberg Firefox 7 03-23-2005 01:22 PM
Cannot get Shockwave Flash file to run in Firefox but works in IE? Kurt Krueckeberg Firefox 7 03-19-2005 06:59 PM
Shockwave Flash plugin MLC Firefox 8 11-26-2004 07:43 AM
Installing shockwave? Axl Firefox 17 12-23-2003 03:38 PM
Shockwave doesn't go Firebird ? why ? Dex® Firefox 14 10-28-2003 07:53 AM

Advertisments