Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how is gmail done? html link within what seems to be textarea?

how is gmail done? html link within what seems to be textarea?

ferd

I've read a few posts about how textareas can't have links or other
rendered elements, so I'm wondering how gmail does it and if it's
something I can cook up at home. specifically, I'd like to allow the
user to type in an entry, very much like typing in this post, and then
highlight a chunk of text, click a button and assign a hyperlink to it.

Is this something I can do?

tia
ferd

Benjamin Niemann

Hello,

ferd wrote:

> I've read a few posts about how textareas can't have links or other
> rendered elements, so I'm wondering how gmail does it and if it's
> something I can cook up at home. specifically, I'd like to allow the
> user to type in an entry, very much like typing in this post, and then
> highlight a chunk of text, click a button and assign a hyperlink to it.

This is not done using a TEXTAREA. It uses a feature that some browsers
support (IE, FF, recent versions of Safari and Opera). Basicly any element
can be turned into an 'HTML WYSIWYG editor' by setting a property
(contentEditable) with JavaScript.

> Is this something I can do?

There are a lot of ready-to-use editors. I'd suggest that you look for one
that can be easily customized. Throw out all options but the link feature.
I know that this can be done with HTMLArea (which has been discontinued).

HTH

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

ferd

Thank you very much. quick question:

-any suggestions?

Benjamin Niemann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> ferd wrote:
>
> > I've read a few posts about how textareas can't have links or other
> > rendered elements, so I'm wondering how gmail does it and if it's
> > something I can cook up at home. specifically, I'd like to allow the
> > user to type in an entry, very much like typing in this post, and then
> > highlight a chunk of text, click a button and assign a hyperlink to it.

> This is not done using a TEXTAREA. It uses a feature that some browsers
> support (IE, FF, recent versions of Safari and Opera). Basicly any element
> can be turned into an 'HTML WYSIWYG editor' by setting a property
> (contentEditable) with JavaScript.
>
> > Is this something I can do?

> There are a lot of ready-to-use editors. I'd suggest that you look for one
> that can be easily customized. Throw out all options but the link feature.
> I know that this can be done with HTMLArea (which has been discontinued).
>

> HTH
>
> --
> Benjamin Niemann
> Email: pink at odahoda dot de
> WWW: http://pink.odahoda.de/

Benjamin Niemann

ferd wrote:

> Benjamin Niemann wrote:
>
>> ferd wrote:
>>
>> > I've read a few posts about how textareas can't have links or other
>> > rendered elements, so I'm wondering how gmail does it and if it's
>> > something I can cook up at home. specifically, I'd like to allow the
>> > user to type in an entry, very much like typing in this post, and then
>> > highlight a chunk of text, click a button and assign a hyperlink to it.

>> This is not done using a TEXTAREA. It uses a feature that some browsers
>> support (IE, FF, recent versions of Safari and Opera). Basicly any
>> element can be turned into an 'HTML WYSIWYG editor' by setting a property
>> (contentEditable) with JavaScript.
>>
>> > Is this something I can do?

>> There are a lot of ready-to-use editors. I'd suggest that you look for
>> one that can be easily customized. Throw out all options but the link
>> feature. I know that this can be done with HTMLArea (which has been
>> discontinued).

> Thank you very much. quick question:
>
> -any suggestions?

The only one I know is HTMLArea - and it's terribly out of date and no
longer supported. Fortunately I don't have to work with such things, so I
can't say which product could replace it. Checkout <http://www.htmlarea.com
/directory/Web_Software_Components/WYSIWYG_Editors/index.html> (wrapped long
URL) for a list of possibilities

P.S.: Please don't top post and don't quote signature.

--
Benjamin Niemann
Email: pink at odahoda dot de

joecool2000