Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Selecting only one wireless network

Selecting only one wireless network

tabladude@gmail.com

Hi:

I am using the Cisco Aironet Card 350 with a Linksys Wireless router
using WEP. My wireless card usually picks up the correct network, but
sometimes it picks up the neighbour's network by accident, even though
I haven't created a profile for these networks. I have tried changing
various setting in the client by guesswork (checking "primary antenna
only, unchecking "scan for a better access point"), but it still picks
up the other networks. I want it to pick up my wireless router, or
nothing at all. How do I set my card to do this?

Thanks,
Kayda

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I am using the Cisco Aironet Card 350 with a Linksys Wireless router
:using WEP. My wireless card usually picks up the correct network, but
:sometimes it picks up the neighbour's network by accident, even though
>I haven't created a profile for these networks. I have tried changing

:various setting in the client by guesswork (checking "primary antenna
nly, unchecking "scan for a better access point"), but it still picks
:up the other networks. I want it to pick up my wireless router, or
:nothing at all. How do I set my card to do this?

If you are using XP you use a different approach: you reconfigure
your Wireless Zero Configuration or turn it off completely.

One problem description:

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,63705,00.html

How to install WZC; also some info on configuring for multiple networks

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20040311.shtml

I don't find a link right at the moment, but one problem a lot of
people have with WZC is that the default settings are to connect
to the strongest signal, rather than restricting to one particular
network, or picking an AP and sticking to it.
--
Studies show that the average reader ignores 106% of all statistics
they see in .signatures.

tabladude@gmail.com

I'm actually running Win 2003 server usually (I have a dual boot but
stay on Win 2003 Server for various reasons). I have the "Wireless
Configuration" service, and it doesn't matter whether I turn it on or
off. (Is that the same as the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service?
That service is not available if I follow the steps in the article.

Shouldn't there be some setting in the Cisco 350 Aironet Client utility
that allows me to select one AP only? I think this would be something
people would need to do quite frequently.