Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Query regarding frame relay CIR

Query regarding frame relay CIR

Sparky

Hi,

I have a frame relay link driven by a Cisco 2620 router. I am paying
the carrier company for a CIR of 1.5 Mbps. Most of the times I find the
link to be slow, however on the router console, I do not see traffic
crossing about 500 kbps. How do I know whether the carrier has really
configured the CIR of 1.5 Mbps for me ? Is there a 'show' command that
tells you the CIR of your frame relay PVC ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Jonathan

"Sparky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a frame relay link driven by a Cisco 2620 router. I am paying
> the carrier company for a CIR of 1.5 Mbps. Most of the times I find the
> link to be slow, however on the router console, I do not see traffic
> crossing about 500 kbps. How do I know whether the carrier has really
> configured the CIR of 1.5 Mbps for me ? Is there a 'show' command that
> tells you the CIR of your frame relay PVC ?
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.

Show frame pvc

Are you seeing BECNs, how about DE packets?

Call your carrier, ask them to confirm the PVC settings... tell them you
want to put a big ping and see if they are seeing discards or DE frames.

In all likelihood, there is a FRATM that is configured incorrectly in their
network (especially if it is going thru Wiltel)

Jonathan

Sparky

I do not see any BECNs. That's exactly what puzzled me.
No DEs either.

I am certainly going to escalate this to the carrier; just thought of
doing my own investigations first.

Thanks for the help.

Sparky

X--Eliminator

Jonathan,

Should it be transparent or translated ?

On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:30:21 -0500, "Jonathan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In all likelihood, there is a FRATM that is configured incorrectly in their
>network (especially if it is going thru Wiltel)
>
>Jonathan

Jonathan

"X--Eliminator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jonathan,
>
> Should it be transparent or translated ?

Frame to ATM to Frame should be translated.

ATM to ATM should be transparent.

Jonathan

Jonathan

"Sparky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I do not see any BECNs. That's exactly what puzzled me.
> No DEs either.

Since your CIR equals your access rate, you really don't need to do any
traffic shaping, so...

Ask your carrier if they are seeing red or amber frames (if their switches
are Lucent) and ask them if graceful discard is on or off... any of this
would indicate they are choking you off.

Also have them pull the PM stats for the switch. Do the same on your router
(show service-module serial 0/0)....

Also ask them if they are taking overhead into account. ATM needs about 20%
overhead for the PVC, so a T1 should be set to a PCR of about 4500 cells per
second.

> I am certainly going to escalate this to the carrier; just thought of
> doing my own investigations first.

You don't need to escalate, you need to get an engineer who knows what the
switches are doing. Any tier I engineer at your telco should be able to help
you.

Then again, that may be the problem. Are you calling your telco or are you
calling your data support group at telco? Cuz those old telco guys have no
idea what is going on beyond the HDSL span (a ckt with just LMI going back
and forth looks the same to them as a fully loaded DS1).

Who is your carrier?

Jonathan