Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Looking for a Firefox extension

Looking for a Firefox extension

Bob

I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing has
changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB (120,120,120)
- basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes away, since
glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the contrast between
type and background, in part.

Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow screwed
up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to load at all,
some page functions stopped working, etc.

I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight some
text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey that I want.

Do you know of any?

Sorry, Firefox newsgroups are all down now.
--
http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

ed

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:47:29 -0800
Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
> remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
> contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing
> has changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB
> (120,120,120) - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes
> away, since glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the
> contrast between type and background, in part.
>
> Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
> color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
>
> was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow
> screwed up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to
> load at all, some page functions stopped working, etc.
>
> I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight
> some text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey
> that I want.
>
> Do you know of any?

no i dont't know of any. but one might want to look into
digitalviberance settings in x. it requires some knowledge of how x
works, but the bottom line is something like this, and it will require
some playing around to test it:

Option "DigitalVibrance" "100"

Where 100 is the brightness. 50 is probably a
pretty reasonable level.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.linuxwarez.co.uk
proud linux hacker

Bob

ed wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:47:29 -0800
> Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
>> remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
>> contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing
>> has changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB
>> (120,120,120) - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes
>> away, since glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the
>> contrast between type and background, in part.
>>
>> Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
>> color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
>>
>> was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow
>> screwed up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to
>> load at all, some page functions stopped working, etc.
>>
>> I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight
>> some text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey
>> that I want.
>>
>> Do you know of any?

> no i dont't know of any. but one might want to look into
> digitalviberance settings in x. it requires some knowledge of how x
> works, but the bottom line is something like this, and it will require
> some playing around to test it:
>
> Option "DigitalVibrance" "100"
>
> Where 100 is the brightness. 50 is probably a
> pretty reasonable level.

Sorry, I'm on Windows. I just crossposted to Linux group because I
respect them and so many of them use Firefox.

Anyone know how to set up the user.css style sheet in Opera?
--
http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/

yttrx

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
> remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
> contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing has
> changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB (120,120,120)
> - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes away, since
> glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the contrast between
> type and background, in part.
>
> Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
> color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
> was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow screwed
> up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to load at all,
> some page functions stopped working, etc.
>
> I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight some
> text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey that I want.
>
> Do you know of any?
>
> Sorry, Firefox newsgroups are all down now.

Firefox newsgroups are never down.

Get a new monitor. I know I know, you dont want to/cant buy one right
now. So save up for one. Or turn the one you have way from the ****ing
light source. Put a shade on it. Go get a glare-reducing attachment.
Try sunglasses.

Christ.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

**** OFF

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net

Dylan Parry

Bob wrote:

> Anyone know how to set up the user.css style sheet in Opera?

No idea, but seeing as you originally asked this question about Firefox,
I figured I'd try to answer this question as regards that instead

In the Firefox profile directory there is a 'chrome' directory. In there
should be 'userContent-example.css' (or similar). Edit this to you
heart's content, then save it as 'userContent.css' in the same
directory. Of course, finding the correct CSS for some sites is going to
be the tough part, but as a starting point:

body {
color: #787878 !important;
}

Should get you on your way.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

ed

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 06:41:27 -0800
Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm on Windows. I just crossposted to Linux group because I
> respect them and so many of them use Firefox.

you cross posted to the wrong group. if you want operating system help
then try posting to the relevant news group.

--
Regards, Ed :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
just another perl hacker

Jonathan N. Little

Bob wrote:
> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor that cannot be
> remedied by any of the usual fixes - I have tried adjusting the
> contrast, brightness and gamma until the cows come home and nothing has
> changed. I have found that if I set the text color to RGB (120,120,120)
> - basically a light grey - the problem pretty much goes away, since
> glare problems with CRT monitors are dependent on the contrast between
> type and background, in part.
>
> Bottom line: I tried to adjust color in Firefox preferences for text
> color. I turned it to the grey above. But the only way to make it work
> was to uncheck "let webpages override my settings". This somehow screwed
> up everything horribly - many backgrounds simply refused to load at all,
> some page functions stopped working, etc.
>
> I am looking for an extension that will allow me to say, highlight some
> text (the text I am trying to read) and turn it all to the grey that I
> want.
>
> Do you know of any?
>
> Sorry, Firefox newsgroups are all down now.

Not a Firefox issue Bob, but hardware. You need a new monitor! Monitor
lose contrast with age, CRT are cheap now that folks want flat panels.
get yourself a new CRT.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Bob wrote:

> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor

The flat screens are these days very good about glare.
They don't cost a lot either.
About 100 pounds for 1280x1024 screen
http://www.ebuyer.com

Bob

7 wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>> I have serious glare problems with my CRT monitor

> The flat screens are these days very good about glare.
> They don't cost a lot either.
> About 100 pounds for 1280x1024 screen
> http://www.ebuyer.com

Thx. I will look into that. I thought they were still prohibitively
expensive.
--
http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/