Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > pure text page size question

pure text page size question

richard

If a page is pure text, what are the acceptable maximum limits on page size
in kb?
Would say 500kb be to much even for dialup?

Nico Schuyt

richard wrote:
> If a page is pure text, what are the acceptable maximum limits on
> page size in kb?
> Would say 500kb be to much even for dialup?

500 kb (kB??) is very large for a text document!
Test it yourself with:
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
or http://www.dallaway.com/sloppy/
The acceptable time for download depends on how interesting the content is
for the visitor

--
Nico Schuyt
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

Sid

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:56:58 -0800, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: If a page is pure text, what are the acceptable maximum limits on page size
: in kb?
: Would say 500kb be to much even for dialup?

500Kb in text format is equivalent to a bible! ?

Sid

Andy Dingley

richard wrote:

> If a page is pure text, what are the acceptable maximum limits on page size
> in kb?

Why? For download size, or for navigation after you've got it?

Navigation is easy, even navigation between pages. I can't see why
you'd need any more than a chapter as a single page. Anything bigger,
then do it as separate pages.

As even a small image dwarfs the bandwidth of a huge amount of text,
then the size limit you're going to hit first will be this navigation
usability one, not the sheer size. Only for mobile phone apps can I see
byte-counting on pure-text pages as being relevant.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can't see why
> you'd need any more than a chapter as a single page.

The only reason I can think of is to cater to the person who
wants to archive it with a browser that won't go even a link
deep. I do not offer this as any point of argument or assign any
probability to it.

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
vouchsafed:

> If a page is pure text, what are the acceptable maximum limits on page
> size in kb?
> Would say 500kb be to much even for dialup?

I'd say (as a personal preference) roughly around 50k. Others will
undoubtedly disagree.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.