Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > combine pages for printer-friendly version

combine pages for printer-friendly version

melinama

Hello,
New member here. I've read about how to have two style sheets, one for
the "print" version, and how to have the "print" version open in a
second window so user can see what it will look like.

What I wonder: how to combine subpages so they all appear one after
another and can be printed out as part of one document. Can this be
done?

Thanks

carolyn

melinama wrote:

> Hello,
> New member here. I've read about how to have two style sheets, one for
> the "print" version, and how to have the "print" version open in a
> second window so user can see what it will look like.
>
> What I wonder: how to combine subpages so they all appear one after
> another and can be printed out as part of one document. Can this be
> done?
>
> Thanks

There is probably a better way, but I don't know it. I would make a
'printer friendly' version of the series of pages, with a link to it from
each page. Something like a [Print entire document] button. That can be
the same as your original document, except it isn't broken into a series of
pages. The user can then print a single page, or the entire document - and
technically you could set it up so they could also view the entire document
rather than only being able to read it a page at a time.

Carolyn
--
Carolyn Marenger

Nico Schuyt

melinama wrote:
> New member here. I've read about how to have two style sheets, one for
> the "print" version, and how to have the "print" version open in a
> second window so user can see what it will look like.

No print version and no second window.
In the head section of the page:
[CSS for the screen and print]
[CSS for print only; normallly: change width; suppress elements that are
not important; change font]

--
Nico Schuyt
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

Jonathan N. Little

melinama wrote:
> Hello,
> New member here. I've read about how to have two style sheets, one for
> the "print" version, and how to have the "print" version open in a
> second window so user can see what it will look like.
>
> What I wonder: how to combine subpages so they all appear one after
> another and can be printed out as part of one document. Can this be
> done?

Not with HTML. From your question what you are looking at is some CMS
whereby all your website's content is served from a database. Then for
printing a whole section your CMS script would have to build the
printable section by parsing the whole "branch" of the selected section
of your website's document tree...

--
Take care,

Jonathan