Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE7 zoom messes up horizontal lists

IE7 zoom messes up horizontal lists

patrick j

Hi

I've just discovered that IE 7 messes up horizontal lists.

I've done a bit of searching the web but a solution has not sprung
forth from this searching.

Below is a url with a horizontal list:

<http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm>

With IE 7 all looks very well at 100% but increase the zoom to 125% or
150% then all the text in the list crushes together but the positions
of the links seem to remain in scale with the zooming. What you have is
a jolly mess

I'm wondering if there are any horizontal list experts who know of a
solution to this one?

Thank you
--
Patrick
Brighton, UK

<http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

Els

patrick j wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just discovered that IE 7 messes up horizontal lists.
>
> I've done a bit of searching the web but a solution has not sprung
> forth from this searching.
>
> Below is a url with a horizontal list:
>
> <http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm>
>
> With IE 7 all looks very well at 100% but increase the zoom to 125% or
> 150% then all the text in the list crushes together but the positions
> of the links seem to remain in scale with the zooming. What you have is
> a jolly mess

I don't see that happening at all, actually. Not on that page anyway.
I've seen slight problems with page-zoom, especially when images and
text are mixed, but horizontal lists like this don't show any problem
on my IE7.

> I'm wondering if there are any horizontal list experts who know of a
> solution to this one?

No problem, no solution

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Evertjan.

Els wrote on 04 nov 2006 in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:

> patrick j wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just discovered that IE 7 messes up horizontal lists.
>>
>> I've done a bit of searching the web but a solution has not sprung
>> forth from this searching.
>>
>> Below is a url with a horizontal list:
>>
>> <http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm>
>>
>> With IE 7 all looks very well at 100% but increase the zoom to 125% or
>> 150% then all the text in the list crushes together but the positions
>> of the links seem to remain in scale with the zooming. What you have is
>> a jolly mess

> I don't see that happening at all, actually. Not on that page anyway.
> I've seen slight problems with page-zoom, especially when images and
> text are mixed, but horizontal lists like this don't show any problem
> on my IE7.
>
>> I'm wondering if there are any horizontal list experts who know of a
>> solution to this one?

> No problem, no solution

Oh but they do echt wel, Els.

Zoom to 125% and then hover over the celtral words.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Els

Evertjan. wrote:

> Els wrote on 04 nov 2006 in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
>
>> patrick j wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've just discovered that IE 7 messes up horizontal lists.
>>>
>>> I've done a bit of searching the web but a solution has not sprung
>>> forth from this searching.
>>>
>>> Below is a url with a horizontal list:
>>>
>>> <http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm>
>>>
>>> With IE 7 all looks very well at 100% but increase the zoom to 125% or
>>> 150% then all the text in the list crushes together but the positions
>>> of the links seem to remain in scale with the zooming. What you have is
>>> a jolly mess

>> I don't see that happening at all, actually. Not on that page anyway.
>> I've seen slight problems with page-zoom, especially when images and
>> text are mixed, but horizontal lists like this don't show any problem
>> on my IE7.
>>
>>> I'm wondering if there are any horizontal list experts who know of a
>>> solution to this one?

>> No problem, no solution

> Oh but they do echt wel, Els.
>
> Zoom to 125% and then hover over the celtral words.

Yup, see it now.
Didn't know I was supposed to hover over the words
Clearly a bug, but if I find a solution, I'll post it here.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Now playing: Depeche Mode - People Are People

BootNic

> patrick j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> news: (E-Mail Removed) t
> Hi
>
> I've just discovered that IE 7 messes up horizontal lists.
>
> I've done a bit of searching the web but a solution has not sprung
> forth from this searching.
>
> Below is a url with a horizontal list:
>
> <http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm>
>
> With IE 7 all looks very well at 100% but increase the zoom to 125% or
> 150% then all the text in the list crushes together but the positions
> of the links seem to remain in scale with the zooming. What you have
> is a jolly mess
>
> I'm wondering if there are any horizontal list experts who know of a
> solution to this one?

zoom:100%;
padding:0 0.3em;

<head>
"text/html; charset=windows-1252">

<title></title>
#nav {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
#nav li {
background-color: #ffe;
display: inline;
margin: 0 0.3em;
padding: 0 0.3em;
}
#nav li:hover {
background-color: #fcc;
}
#nav, #nav li {
list-style: none;
}

<!--[if IE 7]>
#nav li {
padding: 0 0.3em;
}
#nav, #nav li {
zoom: 100%;
}
<![endif]-->
</head>

<ul id="nav">
</ul>

--
BootNic Saturday, November 04, 2006 10:57 AM

Nothing is stronger than habit.
*Ovid*

Ed Mullen

patrick j wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just discovered that IE 7 messes up horizontal lists.
>
> I've done a bit of searching the web but a solution has not sprung
> forth from this searching.
>
> Below is a url with a horizontal list:
>
> <http://css.maxdesign.com.au/index.htm>
>
> With IE 7 all looks very well at 100% but increase the zoom to 125% or
> 150% then all the text in the list crushes together but the positions
> of the links seem to remain in scale with the zooming. What you have is
> a jolly mess
>
> I'm wondering if there are any horizontal list experts who know of a
> solution to this one?
>
> Thank you

I see the problem on the page you gave. However, I'm not noticing the
problem you describe in my own menus. But! I do notice another problem
when zooming in. IE7 is not reforming the page content to fit within
the viewport: it scrolls horizontally. Happens on every page I've
tried, all of which scale just fine in Mozilla browsers and Opera.
Actually, they scale fine in IE7 at 0 zoom when resizing the IE window.
Weird.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

patrick j

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 15:58:00 +0000, BootNic wrote
(in article <cM23h.4209$(E-Mail Removed)> ):

> zoom:100%;
> padding:0 0.3em;

Hi

Thank you; it works, but I don't understand why.

I've been doing some more searching on the internet but I can't find
this problem described.

I've applied it to the horizontal lists in my own web-site.

What I can't understand is why does simply repeating the "padding"
declaration in the special style-sheet for IE7 work?

Is it because it is preceded by the "zoom" declaration?

To be honest the zoom declaration is a new one on me

What does it do?

--
Patrick
Brighton, UK

<http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

David

patrick j wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 15:58:00 +0000, BootNic wrote
> (in article <cM23h.4209$(E-Mail Removed)> ):
>
> > zoom:100%;
> > padding:0 0.3em;

> Hi
>
> Thank you; it works, but I don't understand why.
>
> I've been doing some more searching on the internet but I can't find
> this problem described.
>
> I've applied it to the horizontal lists in my own web-site.
>
> What I can't understand is why does simply repeating the "padding"
> declaration in the special style-sheet for IE7 work?
>
> Is it because it is preceded by the "zoom" declaration?
>
> To be honest the zoom declaration is a new one on me
>
> What does it do?
>
> --
> Patrick
> Brighton, UK
>
> <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

Oh, the IE7 Zoom "feature". MS has admitted that it's broken, but they
shipped it anyway. Rest assured, your page is not the only one that
gets messed up with the Zoom feature. It mostly works for many things,
its image zooming works really well and the cleartype fonts are nice
but the CSS rendering+zoom combination is simply broken in many places
and there's not a lot you can do about it.

Sorry!

-David

BootNic

> patrick j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> news: (E-Mail Removed) t
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 15:58:00 +0000, BootNic wrote
> (in article <cM23h.4209$(E-Mail Removed)> ):
>
>> zoom:100%;
>> padding:0 0.3em;

> Hi
>
> Thank you; it works, but I don't understand why.
>
> I've been doing some more searching on the internet but I can't find
> this problem described.
>
> I've applied it to the horizontal lists in my own web-site.
>
> What I can't understand is why does simply repeating the "padding"
> declaration in the special style-sheet for IE7 work?
>
> Is it because it is preceded by the "zoom" declaration?
>
> To be honest the zoom declaration is a new one on me
>
> What does it do?

It just needs enough padding to keep the text from jumping out as it
is zoomed, no need to declare it again if the padding is sufficient in the
your css.

zoom: is an IE thing, been around since IE5 I think.

Setting zoom is what is making it behave.

--
BootNic Sunday, November 05, 2006 8:50 PM

*Aldous Huxley*

patrick j

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 01:51:33 +0000, BootNic wrote
(in article <Fyw3h.2408$(E-Mail Removed)> ):

> It just needs enough padding to keep the text from jumping out as it
> is zoomed, no need to declare it again if the padding is sufficient in the
> your css.
>
> zoom: is an IE thing, been around since IE5 I think.
>
> Setting zoom is what is making it behave.

Thank you. I understand now

--
Patrick
Brighton, UK