Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Need help with peer to peer no hub network

Need help with peer to peer no hub network

Doug A Moller

I am setting up a linksys peer to peer without a hub or router. They told me
it was possible. But so far I can get no connection. I am running XP Pro on
the desk top and XP Home on my lap top. THe lap top card is a wpc54g and the
desk top wusb54g. I have set up tcp/ip address's, do I need to issue dns
numbers and how do I determine them. I have dial up internet on the desk top
computer. I get no response from the ping test.
Please help me.

Doug
Network dummy

taff

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 06:12:15 -0500, "Doug A Moller"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am setting up a linksys peer to peer without a hub or router. They told me
>it was possible. But so far I can get no connection. I am running XP Pro on
>the desk top and XP Home on my lap top. THe lap top card is a wpc54g and the
>desk top wusb54g. I have set up tcp/ip address's, do I need to issue dns
>numbers and how do I determine them. I have dial up internet on the desk top
>computer. I get no response from the ping test.
>Please help me.
>
>Doug
>Network dummy

You will need to use a crossover cable. Look here for info.

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable5.htm

Taff............

www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

Cat

I am afraid that it will a little hard to use a Crossover Cable with
Wireless Units.

You need to configure the Wireless cards in Ad-Hoc mode. The selection of
Ad-Hoc is usually in the cards utility or and drivers.

The following is the instructions for regular configuration, should rather
similar to Ad-Hoc.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 06:12:15 -0500, "Doug A Moller"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I am setting up a linksys peer to peer without a hub or router. They told

me
> >it was possible. But so far I can get no connection. I am running XP Pro

on
> >the desk top and XP Home on my lap top. THe lap top card is a wpc54g and

the
> >desk top wusb54g. I have set up tcp/ip address's, do I need to issue dns
> >numbers and how do I determine them. I have dial up internet on the desk

top
> >computer. I get no response from the ping test.
> >Please help me.
> >
> >Doug
> >Network dummy
> >

> You will need to use a crossover cable. Look here for info.
>
> http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable5.htm

> www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com

taff

Duh, maybe I should read the text as well as the subject line <g>
sorry.