Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > file saving

file saving

howcanimissu@hotmail.com

Hi All,

I am wondering what the simpliest tool or best way is to go to website
using a program or tool and either:
a) saving the file at the URL ( In this case a ***.txt file is the url)
so it would be something like http:// www.testsite.com/testfile.txt .
This file is a simple pipe delimited text file with some rudimentary
data on it. I would like to automate this process so that whatever tool
I use goes to the site once every minute to get an update and saves the
file to my ftp. FOllowing that I have to put this data into an xls file

b) Mine the above data and delimit it and send it to an xls or html
file.

Any thoughts, not looking to do much coding here just a tool to use if
possible to automate this process, will buy if need to.

Priti

Ben C

On 2006-10-30, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am wondering what the simpliest tool or best way is to go to website
> using a program or tool and either:
> a) saving the file at the URL ( In this case a ***.txt file is the url)
> so it would be something like http:// www.testsite.com/testfile.txt .
> This file is a simple pipe delimited text file with some rudimentary
> data on it. I would like to automate this process so that whatever tool
> I use goes to the site once every minute to get an update and saves the
> file to my ftp.

There are lots of ways. To get the page, wget or curl are suitable
programs, Python's httplib will also do it.

> FOllowing that I have to put this data into an xls file
>
> b) Mine the above data and delimit it and send it to an xls or html
> file.
>
> Any thoughts, not looking to do much coding here just a tool to use if
> possible to automate this process, will buy if need to.

You are going to have to a little bit of coding I think. The task is
just too specific, I don't see how anyone could sell a tool that did
exactly this unless you paid someone specifically to write it.

howcanimissu@hotmail.com

Thanks,

I will check out these tools, if I can save the file I can trigger a
conversion in excel I think,
as for option 2 can I use asp or VB 6 for that, I am not familiar with
..net yet.

Priti

On 2006-10-31, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I will check out these tools, if I can save the file I can trigger a
> conversion in excel I think,

It's probably easiest to turn the "pipe-delimited" thing into csv (maybe
as simple as replace | with ,) and let Excel convert the csv to xls.

[snip]
>> > I am wondering what the simpliest tool or best way is to go to website
>> > using a program or tool and either:
>> > a) saving the file at the URL ( In this case a ***.txt file is the url)
>> > so it would be something like http:// www.testsite.com/testfile.txt .
>> > This file is a simple pipe delimited text file with some rudimentary
>> > data on it. I would like to automate this process so that whatever tool
>> > I use goes to the site once every minute to get an update and saves the
>> > file to my ftp.

>> There are lots of ways. To get the page, wget or curl are suitable
>> programs, Python's httplib will also do it.

dp

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> I will check out these tools, if I can save the file I can trigger a
> conversion in excel I think,
> as for option 2 can I use asp or VB 6 for that, I am not familiar with
> .net yet.
>
> Priti
> Ben C wrote:
>> On 2006-10-30, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am wondering what the simpliest tool or best way is to go to
>>> website using a program or tool and either:
>>> a) saving the file at the URL ( In this case a ***.txt file is the
>>> url) so it would be something like http://
>>> www.testsite.com/testfile.txt . This file is a simple pipe
>>> delimited text file with some rudimentary data on it. I would like
>>> to automate this process so that whatever tool I use goes to the
>>> site once every minute to get an update and saves the file to my
>>> ftp.

>> There are lots of ways. To get the page, wget or curl are suitable
>> programs, Python's httplib will also do it.
>>
>>> FOllowing that I have to put this data into an xls file
>>>
>>> b) Mine the above data and delimit it and send it to an xls or html
>>> file.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, not looking to do much coding here just a tool to use
>>> if possible to automate this process, will buy if need to.

>> You are going to have to a little bit of coding I think. The task is
>> just too specific, I don't see how anyone could sell a tool that did
>> exactly this unless you paid someone specifically to write it.

Please don't top-post. It makes a conversation difficult to follow.
For asp, use the file system object to write yourself a csv file.
Search for "asp fso". Many examples and tutorials.

--
dp