Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Three-column website layout?

Reply
Thread Tools

Three-column website layout?

 
 
Ikke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a very simple three-column website design in css.

All the examples I've found so far are talking about hacks, tricks and
other difficult stuff.

The only thing I need, is a simple layout where the left and right column
are of a fixed width, and the center needs to stretch between them so the
entire page is filled.

I've only recently stopped using tables and started using css for layout,
so basically I find it hard to believe that this could be so hard.

Could someone please point me to some examples, or websites that employ
such a layout (in an easy fashion)?

Thanks!

Ikke
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2006
In article <Xns986BF2B096AE3ikkehierbe@195.130.132.70>,
Ikke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm looking for a very simple three-column website design in css.
>
> All the examples I've found so far are talking about hacks, tricks and
> other difficult stuff.
>
> The only thing I need, is a simple layout where the left and right column
> are of a fixed width, and the center needs to stretch between them so the
> entire page is filled.
>
> I've only recently stopped using tables and started using css for layout,
> so basically I find it hard to believe that this could be so hard.
>
> Could someone please point me to some examples, or websites that employ
> such a layout (in an easy fashion)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ikke


Gee, old B is always suggesting a link for this... where is
it...? Anyway, perhaps

http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout3.html

is too tricky?

Or

http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp

Or just float a div left and right, give them a width in px, and
give the main content div no width but certainly right and left
margins in which the floats sit. Don't position anything at all
under this suggestion. And then come and complain about the
details. It will be a valuable thread. Start very simply and
complain loudly at the first sign of trouble (before you
introduce tons and tons of complexity)

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ikke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2006
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

<snipped>
> Gee, old B is always suggesting a link for this... where is
> it...? Anyway, perhaps
>
> http://bluerobot.com/web/layouts/layout3.html
>
> is too tricky?


I've seen that page before. The first thing that immediately jumps out of
the CSS at that page, are the words "ugly" and "hack". So yes

> Or
>
> http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp


Another page I've seen, which employs a hack.

> Or just float a div left and right, give them a width in px, and
> give the main content div no width but certainly right and left
> margins in which the floats sit. Don't position anything at all
> under this suggestion. And then come and complain about the
> details. It will be a valuable thread. Start very simply and
> complain loudly at the first sign of trouble (before you
> introduce tons and tons of complexity)


Basically, that's how I started out - a left column, right column, and a
center one with no width specified.

It all works fine when the widths are in percentages - but as soon as I
set the widths left and right in pixels, and drop the width of the center
column, the right column drops beneath the center.

Why all this talk about complaining? Is it really that hard to get a
three column layout? Is it really necessary to employ hacks? If that's
the case, why does everybody insist on using css instead of tables
(besides the fact that that's how its supposed to be and
blahblahblah...).

Thanks for your reply,

Ikke
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2006
Ikke wrote:

> Hi everybody,


G'day.

> I'm looking for a very simple three-column website design in css.


Like this?
http://benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/css.../3-column.html

> All the examples I've found so far are talking about hacks, tricks and
> other difficult stuff.


Tricks maybe, but "hacks" aren't necessary, and it is not difficult,
only different.

> The only thing I need, is a simple layout where the left and right
> column are of a fixed width, and the center needs to stretch between
> them so the entire page is filled.


See above.

> I've only recently stopped using tables and started using css for
> layout, so basically I find it hard to believe that this could be so
> hard.


It is not hard. It is just a different mindset, or method. Once you
catch on, and drop tables for layout, you will wonder why you didn't do
it years ago. CSS layouts are sooo much easier to maintain.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2006
dorayme wrote:

> Gee, old B is always suggesting a link for this... where is
> it...?


Am I "old B"?

Link posted. <g>

--
-Old B
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2006
Ikke wrote:

> Why all this talk about complaining?


The only people who complain are those who can't comprehend the change
of method.

> Is it really that hard to get a three column layout?
> Is it really necessary to employ hacks?


No and No.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
 
Reply With Quote
 
BootNic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2006
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> news: doraymeRidThis-6BA4A0.10473830102006...ptusnet.com.au
> In article <Xns986BF2B096AE3ikkehierbe@195.130.132.70>,
> Ikke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

[snip]
> http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp


[snip]

This is a 3 column layout, however I do not think it should be referred
to as "the holy grail".

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail

--
BootNic Sunday, October 29, 2006 7:45 PM

"They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you
made them feel."
*Carl W. Buechner*

 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2006
In article <Xns986CB26B596Dikkehierbe@195.130.132.70>,
Ikke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why all this talk about complaining?


I was intending this in a friendly way, meaning only to start
simple, show us the result with a url with a "complaint" ie. a
description of something you find unacceptable (eg, a float drop
when you squeeze the window less wide... etc) and folk here can
suggest solutions to address these matters... In this process, a
url would help...

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2006
In article
<WGb1h.378697$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > Gee, old B is always suggesting a link for this... where is
> > it...?

>
> Am I "old B"?
>
> Link posted. <g>


Yes, you are!

And yes that's the one, I have re bookmarked it as "3-col layout
css beauregard". No wonder my "Spotlight" search could not find
it before - it was there but not under a good name. I am coming
to more and more rely on this search business on my computer.
Long gone, it seems, are the days when I remember pretty well
where everything is.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2006
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:51:14 GMT, Ikke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I'm looking for a very simple three-column website design in css.
>
>All the examples I've found so far are talking about hacks, tricks and
>other difficult stuff.
>
>The only thing I need, is a simple layout where the left and right column
>are of a fixed width, and the center needs to stretch between them so the
>entire page is filled.
>
>I've only recently stopped using tables and started using css for layout,
>so basically I find it hard to believe that this could be so hard.
>
>Could someone please point me to some examples, or websites that employ
>such a layout (in an easy fashion)?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ikke


Hi Ikke,

I am very much a beginner at such layouts but I have produced a very
simple 3 column layout that could serve as a starting point:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/3_colu...er_footer.html

There are no hacks, tricks or other devices and the page adapts to
all browser window sizes. HTML and CSS validate with W3C.

All the best,

Andrew.
--

Andrew
http://www.andrews-corner.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
setting up website inside a website sck10 ASP .Net 1 04-13-2006 09:18 PM
Website on a website. Shawn ASP .Net 3 01-15-2006 04:58 AM
deploying website or copying website? Flip ASP .Net 1 11-22-2005 06:25 PM
how to reinstall website when the name of the website changed. A Leon HTML 4 03-04-2004 07:44 AM
Update website via website? Adrian Wood HTML 13 02-25-2004 11:32 PM



Advertisments