Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Picture Poup

Reply
Thread Tools

Picture Poup

 
 
Possum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
Hi

I have an arts site and have thumbnails that Need to show larger picture in
a popup window when clicked. Or opens another window that is not full screen
but is the roughly the same size as the picture being displayed..

how can I do this ..


Cheers Peter



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
In article <4532e54f$0$27268$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Possum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have an arts site and have thumbnails that Need to show larger picture in
> a popup window when clicked. Or opens another window that is not full screen
> but is the roughly the same size as the picture being displayed..
>
> how can I do this ..
>



You could look at

http://sonspring.com/journal/hoverbox-image-gallery

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
Possum wrote:

[stuff]

I read the Subject header and though this was going to be a thread on
photograph droppings.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
mbstevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
Possum wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an arts site and have thumbnails that Need to show larger picture in
> a popup window when clicked. Or opens another window that is not full screen
> but is the roughly the same size as the picture being displayed..
>
> how can I do this ..
>
>
> Cheers Peter
>
>
>

<a href="images/11.jpg"
onclick="window.open('images/11.jpg','flower_window','width=500,
height=406'); return false;">
<img src="images/1.jpg" width="50"
height="41" alt="flower" />
<p>(Image will open in a new window.)</p></a>

....but never, ever do it, or anything even
vaguely like it.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb
 
Reply With Quote
 
jojo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
mbstevens wrote:

>> I have an arts site and have thumbnails that Need to show larger
>> picture in a popup window when clicked. Or opens another window that
>> is not full screen but is the roughly the same size as the picture
>> being displayed..
>>
>> how can I do this ..

>
> <a href="images/11.jpg"
> onclick="window.open('images/11.jpg','flower_window','width=500,
> height=406'); return false;">
> <img src="images/1.jpg" width="50" height="41" alt="flower" />
> <p>(Image will open in a new window.)</p></a>
>
> ...but never, ever do it, or anything even vaguely like it.


So why do you post it if you tell him not to use it just one line later?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nico Schuyt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
dorayme wrote:
> "Possum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have an arts site and have thumbnails that Need to show larger
>> picture in a popup window when clicked. Or opens another window that
>> is not full screen but is the roughly the same size as the picture
>> being displayed..
>> how can I do this ..


> You could look at
> http://sonspring.com/journal/hoverbox-image-gallery


Interesting approach. Thanks for the link!

--
Nico Schuyt
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Possum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
Its Works.. thx



"jojo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:egvdde$ste$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mbstevens wrote:
>
>>> I have an arts site and have thumbnails that Need to show larger picture
>>> in a popup window when clicked. Or opens another window that is not full
>>> screen but is the roughly the same size as the picture being displayed..
>>>
>>> how can I do this ..

>>
>> <a href="images/11.jpg"
>> onclick="window.open('images/11.jpg','flower_window','width=500,
>> height=406'); return false;">
>> <img src="images/1.jpg" width="50" height="41" alt="flower" />
>> <p>(Image will open in a new window.)</p></a>
>>
>> ...but never, ever do it, or anything even vaguely like it.

>
> So why do you post it if you tell him not to use it just one line later?




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006

mbstevens wrote:

> <a href="images/11.jpg"
> onclick="window.open('images/11.jpg','flower_window','width=500,
> height=406'); return false;">
> <img src="images/1.jpg" width="50"
> height="41" alt="flower" />
> <p>(Image will open in a new window.)</p></a>
>
> ...but never, ever do it, or anything even
> vaguely like it.


Nothing wrong with most of that - you use href appropriately as a
fallback if the JavaScript event handler isn't available. It does the
right things with return values etc.

I would suggest though using <br> instead of <p> to keep the HTML
valid.

I'd also give a useful title as the caption beneath the image, not an
instruction to go clicking on things. If you need this, do it once per
page.

If the popup window is to have a size, then try to set this dynamically
based on the actual size of the image. You can do this either server or
client side.

I'd also use the target="imagepopup" attribute on the <a> so as to open
them in a new window (I know opinions vary on this, but IMHO it's a
good use of it).

 
Reply With Quote
 
mbstevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
Andy Dingley wrote:
> mbstevens wrote:
>
>> <a href="images/11.jpg"
>> onclick="window.open('images/11.jpg','flower_window','width=500,
>> height=406'); return false;">
>> <img src="images/1.jpg" width="50"
>> height="41" alt="flower" />
>> <p>(Image will open in a new window.)</p></a>
>>
>> ...but never, ever do it, or anything even
>> vaguely like it.

>
> Nothing wrong with most of that - you use href appropriately as a
> fallback if the JavaScript event handler isn't available. It does the
> right things with return values etc.
>
> I would suggest though using <br> instead of <p> to keep the HTML
> valid.

I did in my page about the thumbnailing that
I copied it from:
http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb

I saw the <br> on my page and thought, a <p>
would work better. I didn't remember my own
research!
>
> I'd also give a useful title as the caption beneath the image, not an
> instruction to go clicking on things. If you need this, do it once per
> page.


That's not so much an instruction as a
warning that the thing will open a new
window. Visitors should be warned, at the
very least, if you are about to do something
so rude as opening a new window. Of course,
you shouldn't do it at all!

>
> If the popup window is to have a size, then try to set this dynamically
> based on the actual size of the image. You can do this either server or
> client side.


Finding the size of images on the fly might
eat time. I think that this size should be
known in advance, either stored by the server
side program in a base or passed to the
server side program by the call from HTML.
For client side, you should just know the
size of the image in advance and code it in.
If it's on your site you can find it out in
advance easily.

>
> I'd also use the target="imagepopup" attribute on the <a> so as to open
> them in a new window (I know opinions vary on this, but IMHO it's a
> good use of it).
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
mbstevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2006
jojo wrote:
> mbstevens wrote:


>> ...but never, ever do it, or anything even vaguely like it.

>
> So why do you post it if you tell him not to use it just one line later?


There is a difference between facts and the
ethical use of those facts. Facts should not
be hidden.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Printing file number and picture number with picture Ace Digital Photography 2 09-17-2005 09:15 AM
Need opinions - good picture - bad picture utseay@aol.com Digital Photography 22 03-17-2005 08:01 AM
Closing pdf poup using javascript Balaji Javascript 0 03-07-2005 02:35 PM
Help taking a picture of a glossy picture (Q-60 profiling) Fanta Digital Photography 3 08-31-2003 09:27 PM
Macromedia Fireworks: Reducing the setTimeout value of dhtml poup menus Yvan J. Gagnon Javascript 0 07-01-2003 08:04 PM



Advertisments