Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > web readers?

web readers?

nagasaki mike

i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who have
difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly i
shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
coding correctly or not.

thank you very much.

cwdjrxyz

nagasaki mike wrote:
> i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
> advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
> the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who have
> difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly i
> shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
> coding correctly or not.

The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
special audio equipment.

richard

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> nagasaki mike wrote:
>> i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than
>> trust
>> advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
>> the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who
>> have
>> difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly
>> shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
>> coding correctly or not.

> The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
> also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
> but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
> large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
> you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
> some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
> person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
> special audio equipment.

Have you ever spoken with a blind person?
I have many times. They can hear and talk just like you and me.
So what you hear, is what they are going to hear.

richard

"nagasaki mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
> advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
> the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who
> have
> difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly
> shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
> coding correctly or not.
>
> thank you very much.

So use 2 <br> tags instead.
Put the form in a <div> if you want to style it.

Chaddy2222

cwdjrxyz wrote:
> nagasaki mike wrote:
> > i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than trust
> > advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
> > the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who have
> > difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly i
> > shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
> > coding correctly or not.

> The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
> also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
> but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
> large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
> you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
> some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
> person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
> special audio equipment.

No need to be fussed finding a government organisation, e-mail me
privatly, or just post the url on the NG and i'll comment here. I have
a full copy of Jaws 5.0 screen reader.
Regards Chad. http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc/contact-us.html

nagasaki mike

"Chaddy2222" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> cwdjrxyz wrote:
> > nagasaki mike wrote:
> > > i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than

trust
> > > advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they

all
> > > the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who

have
> > > difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything

correctly i
> > > shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i

am
> > > coding correctly or not.

> > The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
> > also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
> > but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
> > large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
> > you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
> > some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
> > person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
> > special audio equipment.

> No need to be fussed finding a government organisation, e-mail me
> privatly, or just post the url on the NG and i'll comment here. I have
> a full copy of Jaws 5.0 screen reader.
> --

i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
speaking ... and thanks for the offer but there are a few sites to do and
obviously any works in progress so i'll see if i can get myself 'jaws' so i
can have a play. though it would be helpful if you could point me towards a
site that reads perfectly with a screen reader so i can study it. thanks
very much again.

cwdjrxyz

richard wrote:
> "cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > nagasaki mike wrote:
> >> i doubt this is the correct place to ask (but id rather ask here than
> >> trust
> >> advertising speil) but, what is a good 'page reader'(?) - or are they all
> >> the same? - to get so i can check my sites accessibility for those who
> >> have
> >> difficulties with their sight? i know that if i code everything correctly
> >> shouldnt have a problem, but until i hear something i wont know if i am
> >> coding correctly or not.

> > The latest Opera Browser will read pages in a male or female voice and
> > also take voice commands. You need a microphone to take voice commands,
> > but not to just read the page. The Opera browser requires a fairly
> > large binary download to make these functions work, but it is free. If
> > you want to know exactly how your page sounds to blind users, perhaps
> > some government agency that helps the blind could help you find a blind
> > person who will comment on how your page works when spoken using their
> > special audio equipment.
> >

> Have you ever spoken with a blind person?
> I have many times. They can hear and talk just like you and me.
> So what you hear, is what they are going to hear.

Yes, we used to have a blind couple at work. They heard what you and I
hear - perhaps with better concentration because the pay more attention
to sound, touch, etc to compensate for the lack of sight. The poster,
however, has apparently not heard the output of a text to sound device
for his page and thus is not for sure what will be heard by himself or
the blind person. The free Opera translator I mentioned is not perfect,
and I doubt if other devices are either. Thus it is important that
someone hear the page. The Opera device convert a 3l. subheading for a
section to 3 liters! instead of the expected "three l". It of course
had no trouble with 2l. One might want to correct for problems such as
this..

cwdjrxyz

cwdjrxyz wrote:
>The Opera device convert a 3l. subheading for a
> section to 3 liters! instead of the expected "three l". It of course
> had no trouble with 2l. One might want to correct for problems such as
> this..

Typos corrected:

The Opera device converted a 3l. subheading for a
> section to 3 liters! instead of the expected "three l". It of course
> had no trouble with 3a. One might want to correct for problems such as
> this.

cwdjrxyz

nagasaki mike wrote:

> i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
> speaking.

Highlight the whole page or portion of it that you wish spoken. Then
right click and select speak. Or you can use the V on the keyboard
instead. Entering the Esc key a time or two will make the voice stop.

nagasaki mike

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> nagasaki mike wrote:
>
> > i do use opera but have forgotten which keys to press to get the voice
> > speaking.

> Highlight the whole page or portion of it that you wish spoken. Then
> right click and select speak. Or you can use the V on the keyboard
> instead. Entering the Esc key a time or two will make the voice stop.

yeah ive been doing that (i used to listen before on previous versions of
opera) but it doesnt seem to work - and i do have the voice activated in
preferences - which is why i seem so confused.
i have the latest version of opera