Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browsers for testing your web site in?

Browsers for testing your web site in?

Gazza

John Paul mumbled the following on 13/10/2006 19:40:
> What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

IE6, IE7, FF1.5, Opera8, Opera9, Amaya, Lynx and NS4 just for a laugh )

--
Gazza
Mobile Number Network Checker - http://mnnc.net/

patrick j

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:40:07 +0100, John Paul wrote
(in article <b4RXg.144737$(E-Mail Removed)>) :

> What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

On my Mac I use iCab during construction, it has a built in validation
which is very handy. Then I check everything out with Firefox and
Safari. With my Mac I have a partition with Windows on it but I have to
restart the computer to use the Windows. In fact the only reason I have
Windows is so that I can view the site in IE 6 which of course comes
with Windows.

I do like to look at the site in other people's computers if possible.
It is amazing how different a web-site can look with a different
monitor.

--
Patrick
Brighton, UK

George L. Sexton

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:40:07 +0000, John Paul wrote:

> What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

Firefox, IE6, IE7, Safari, and most importantly:

validator.w3.org

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc. - Home of Connect Daily Web Calendar

Saul

George L. Sexton wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:40:07 +0000, John Paul wrote:
>
> > What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

> Firefox, IE6, IE7, Safari, and most importantly:
>
> validator.w3.org

An idle question, but just how many leading websites actually do
validate - does anyone keep a list - say take the leading sites from
Alexa (oh and of course Alexa itself)

Thought I'd try a few less sites like BBC, the Times, Yahoo, Google,
Ebay, MySpace - hmmm interesting...

Saul

patrick j

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:23:44 +0100, Saul wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed). com>):

> An idle question, but just how many leading websites actually do
> validate

Very few I think.

One of my browsers, iCab, has a little smiley face which frowns if a
web-site doesn't validate with iCab's built in validation. It's true
that iCab's built in validation is different here and there from that
of the W3C but for the most part it is much the same.

Anyway when I go through periods of having iCab as my default browser I
notice that very very few web-sites cause iCab to smile.

--
Patrick
Brighton, UK

K A Nuttall

John Paul wrote:

> What browsers do people use to test their web site in?

Dreamweaver 8 (design view and validator)
FF 1.5
IE (5, 5.5, 6)
Opera 7.2
IE Mac 5.2

--
K A Nuttall
www.yammer.co.uk

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) et>,
patrick j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I do like to look at the site in other people's computers if possible.
> It is amazing how different a web-site can look with a different
> monitor.

One of the most striking, but perhaps least important things, is
the look of the text. Under many font sizes (not larger ones), is
the splotchiness. Even on late model machines on LCD screens with
the Windows system font-smoothing turned on. I think it is not
something that Windows folk are much aware of because it is not
so bad that it stands out without coming straight from the
marvelous Mac OS X implementation. I have noticed this especially
with LCD screens but also CRTs. Last night I saw a site of mine
on a brand new Winbox, brand new quality LCD and set up by a very
competent old hand, immedietely obvious to me, not to my friend
who had not just come from a Mac. Arial was the font, Firefox was
the browser.

I mention this here to see if anyone can suggest a useful,
reasonable workaday font that is least subject to this
"bit-mapping" effect.

--
dorayme

patrick j

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 22:45:42 +0100, dorayme wrote
(in article
<(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I mention this here to see if anyone can suggest a useful,
> reasonable workaday font that is least subject to this
> "bit-mapping" effect.

It is very true that the fonts are displayed surprisingly differently
in different monitors. The whole feel of them changes greatly.

I've been testing out different "preferred" fonts on my one web-site. I
had Arial for a few days but on some computers that looked very thin
and weak. Now I've got Trebuchet MS and I'm going to see how that
appears.

Because I work in an office environment 2.5 days in the week it is
quite a good opportunity to check out my web-site on different
monitors. They all have Windows but across the office is a variety of
screens. This is a very useful situation

--
Patrick
Brighton, UK

Ben Jamieson

On 2006-10-13 14:40:07 -0400, "John Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> What browsers do people use to test their web site in?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Paul.

Safari: Mac OS X
Firefox : Mac OS X
IE 6.x : Win XP
IE 5.5: Win 2k

--
Thyme Online Ltd
Caribbean Web Design

Ben Jamieson

On 2006-10-15 11:19:12 -0400, "George L. Sexton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> and most importantly:
>
> validator.w3.org

Huh? is that a browser?