Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Question about links

Question about links

John

I need to know how to keep the link inside of the main menu.

Meaning - if I have the home page up, and someone clicks about us
link. I want the information of about us to show in the main window
and not go to another page. How do I accomplish this? Do I need to
copy and past the homepage code and then insert the about us code and
then save it as aboutus.html?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed Mullen

John wrote:
> I need to know how to keep the link inside of the main menu.
>

> Meaning - if I have the home page up, and someone clicks about us
> link. I want the information of about us to show in the main window
> and not go to another page. How do I accomplish this? Do I need to
> copy and past the homepage code and then insert the about us code and
> then save it as aboutus.html?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Do you mean:

- I am looking at your index.html page in my browser
- I click the link to aboutus.html
- the index.html page is replaced with the aboutus.html page

If so, that's default behavior. If that is not happening then you have
coded the link to specifically open a new window. If you mean something
different, please explain.

Do you have an online example?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

John

Thanks for the reply Ed.

Example:

I have a menu on the left with home, contact us, about us etc. The
default home page has an logo at the top. I want to be able to click
the link about us or contact us and make the menu and logo remain
there, and the information displayed in the center of the screen. That
way is doesn't look like you left the page at all.

note: I don't have an online example at this time.

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:47:23 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> I need to know how to keep the link inside of the main menu.
>>

>> Meaning - if I have the home page up, and someone clicks about us
>> link. I want the information of about us to show in the main window
>> and not go to another page. How do I accomplish this? Do I need to
>> copy and past the homepage code and then insert the about us code and
>> then save it as aboutus.html?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.

>Do you mean:
>
>- I am looking at your index.html page in my browser
>- I click the link to aboutus.html
>- the index.html page is replaced with the aboutus.html page
>
>If so, that's default behavior. If that is not happening then you have
>coded the link to specifically open a new window. If you mean something
>different, please explain.
>
>Do you have an online example?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

John wrote:

> I have a menu on the left with home, contact us, about us etc. The
> default home page has an logo at the top. I want to be able to click
> the link about us or contact us and make the menu and logo remain
> there, and the information displayed in the center of the screen.
> That way is doesn't look like you left the page at all.

Make a template for your pages. Include everything from the DOCTYPE, the
<head> section, the <body> including the logo header and the menu code,
the footer if applicable. Use this as an example:

<head>
<title>My Template</title>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
</head>

[Insert your logo code here]

[Each individual page's content goes here]

[Your menu code goes here]

Now save it as "template.html"

When you want to make a new page, copy this file to a new one, say
"about.html" and just fill in the specific page's content.

Please don't top-post. Thanks.

--
-bts

Ed Mullen

John wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:47:23 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> John wrote:
>>> I need to know how to keep the link inside of the main menu.
>>>

>>> Meaning - if I have the home page up, and someone clicks about us
>>> link. I want the information of about us to show in the main window
>>> and not go to another page. How do I accomplish this? Do I need to
>>> copy and past the homepage code and then insert the about us code and
>>> then save it as aboutus.html?
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.

>> Do you mean:
>>
>> - I am looking at your index.html page in my browser
>> - I click the link to aboutus.html
>> - the index.html page is replaced with the aboutus.html page
>>
>> If so, that's default behavior. If that is not happening then you have
>> coded the link to specifically open a new window. If you mean something
>> different, please explain.
>>
>> Do you have an online example?

> I have a menu on the left with home, contact us, about us etc. The
> default home page has an logo at the top. I want to be able to click
> the link about us or contact us and make the menu and logo remain
> there, and the information displayed in the center of the screen. That
> way is doesn't look like you left the page at all.
>

> note: I don't have an online example at this time.

Bottom posting would be appreciated.

Sounds like your menu is part of the page. You need to either use
frames (not the best approach) or one of the many techniques for
creating menus, preferably using CSS. I'm sure others will offer their
opinions as to what CSS technique they prefer. You can look at my site
for a horizontal menu example. The origin of my menu system also offers
a vertical version. See:

http://www.seoconsultants.com/css/menus/vertical/
http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/tanfa_x.html

Also, for general info:
http://www.google.com/search?query=css%20menus&num=50

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

nagasaki mike

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the reply Ed.
>

> Example:
>

> I have a menu on the left with home, contact us, about us etc. The
> default home page has an logo at the top. I want to be able to click
> the link about us or contact us and make the menu and logo remain
> there, and the information displayed in the center of the screen. That
> way is doesn't look like you left the page at all.

why, whats wrong with a new page appearing?

William Hughes

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:08:13 -0400, in alt.html Ed Mullen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sounds like your menu is part of the page. You need to either use
>frames (not the best approach) or one of the many techniques for
>creating menus, preferably using CSS. I'm sure others will offer their
>opinions as to what CSS technique they prefer. You can look at my site
>for a horizontal menu example. The origin of my menu system also offers
>a vertical version.

Or Server-Side Includes, if the host allows it. Mine doesn't.

Is there a reference on using CSS for menu content? I've not run into
this before.

What is the consensus on IFRAME? I've been using that vice SSI; URL in
sig.

--
William Hughes, San Antonio, Texas: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
The Carrier Project: http://home.grandecom.net/~cvproj/carrier.htm