Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how to include xml code as content in an html file?

how to include xml code as content in an html file?

kdarling@basit.com

Harlan Messinger wrote:
> > It's the only tag that does what's often needed. Yes, it's
> > obsolete/deprecated (depending on which standard you use), but so are
> > CENTER, FONT and U, all of which will be around a long long time.

> What I meant was, was it a joke to label something, in a specification,
> as obsolete or deprecated when there had never been a previous version
> of the specification in which it could have been included as a living,
> breathing component.

Yep, I think everyone got that. And you're right, it's weird to mark
something as obsolete in the first standard, and then deprecated later
on, and now just missing.

I think "xmp" is like "go to". No one wants to admit that it's useful.

All slightly tongue-in-cheek,
Kev

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Harlan Messinger:

> What I meant was, was it a joke to label something, in a
> specification, as obsolete or deprecated when there had never been a
> previous version of the specification in which it could have been
> included as a living, breathing component.

No, including <XMP> in the HTML 2.0 specification was not meant to be a
joke. It was just a mistake, but you can read the reasoning behind it in the
spec itself. HTML 2.0 aimed at standardizing existing practice (and so did
HTML 3.2 later), and to cope with that, it included <XMP> without really
defining it consistently _and_ it said it should not be used. (There are two
descriptions of how <XMP> content should be parsed, and the one that is
normative is not how browsers worked and work, whereas the one described in
a note and in a DTD comment is not describable in SGML.)

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/