Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > WebStart caching test.

WebStart caching test.

Andrew Thompson

(quoting myself from an earlier thread*)

<http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/#eg6>

> The theory is that the (<20KB) of classes of this
> (sandboxed) application should spring onto screen
> quickly, but once the user clicks a list entry, the
> media files (ranging from 270-370Kb) will then be
> downloaded and cached (and displayed).

The aim of this test is to get a workable progress
dialog, for the lazy downloads.

This is now version 6, and I am still getting
odd results. It seems to work just fine off the
local file-system, but fails when coming off the
net (see the link for details).

Can anyone confirm the same behaviour (fails
for net, works off file system)?

* Note. This was intended as a follow-up to msgID
(E-Mail Removed) om
with the same Subject. For some reason (perhaps
because the last post on that thread was
last October) the GG WITUN is not offering a
'Reply' link for it (only 'Reply to Author').

Andrew T.

John T

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> (quoting myself from an earlier thread*)
>

>>WebStart caching test - a test of the 'lazy' download
>>attribute (good for getting applications on-screen fast,
>>amongst other things).

> <http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/#eg6>
>
>>The theory is that the (<20KB) of classes of this
>>(sandboxed) application should spring onto screen
>>quickly, but once the user clicks a list entry, the
>>media files (ranging from 270-370Kb) will then be
>>downloaded and cached (and displayed).

> The aim of this test is to get a workable progress
> dialog, for the lazy downloads.
>
> This is now version 6, and I am still getting
> odd results. It seems to work just fine off the
> local file-system, but fails when coming off the
> net (see the link for details).
>
> Can anyone confirm the same behaviour (fails
> for net, works off file system)?
>

> * Note. This was intended as a follow-up to msgID
> (E-Mail Removed) om
> with the same Subject. For some reason (perhaps
> because the last post on that thread was
> last October) the GG WITUN is not offering a
> 'Reply' link for it (only 'Reply to Author').
>
> Andrew T.

Hi Andrew, I clicked on your link and went to the jnlp link. The dl
progress bar worked but when the pictures displayed in the frame, the
dialogue was still on my screen.

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 25, 12:28 pm, John T <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:

> >..It seems to work just fine off the
> > local file-system, but fails when coming off the
> > net (see the link for details).

> > Can anyone confirm the same behaviour (fails
> > for net, works off file system)?

> Hi Andrew, I clicked on your link and went to the jnlp link. The dl
> progress bar worked but when the pictures displayed in the frame, the
> dialogue was still on my screen.

Thanks for the result.

Did that happen even for the first picture?
My experience was the *first* download
1) showed a progress dialog (PD)
2) the dialog showed progress
3) when the resource arrived, the dialog vanished

It was the 'second and every other' call
that failed for me. For this it was
1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'
2) no progress was shown, and the dialog ..
3) did not disappear after the picture
arrived (though it could be closed by
user).

Andrew T.

John T

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Thanks for the result.
>
> Did that happen even for the first picture?
> My experience was the *first* download
> 1) showed a progress dialog (PD)
> 2) the dialog showed progress
> 3) when the resource arrived, the dialog vanished
>
> It was the 'second and every other' call
> that failed for me. For this it was
> 1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'
> 2) no progress was shown, and the dialog ..
> 3) did not disappear after the picture
> arrived (though it could be closed by
> user).
>
> Andrew T.

Yes, that was what happened to me.

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 25, 1:22 pm, John T <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:

> > Did that happen even for the first picture?
> > My experience was the *first* download
> > 1) showed a progress dialog (PD)

> > It was the 'second and every other' call
> > that failed for me. For this it was
> > 1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'

> Yes, that was what happened to me.

Thanks for clarifying.

Andrew T.

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:
>>> My experience was the *first* download
>>> 1) showed a progress dialog (PD)

>>> It was the 'second and every other' call
>>> that failed for me. For this it was
>>> 1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'

No anomalies for me.

That Kev is talented.

- Lew

John T

Lew wrote:

> No anomalies for me.
>
> That Kev is talented.
>
> - Lew

I used Firefox. What did you use? Is there any difference in
performance on say *ux platforms form Windows?

Lew

John T wrote:
> I used Firefox. What did you use? Is there any difference in
> performance on say *ux platforms form Windows?

I used Firefox under Fedora Core 6, running the Java under j5.

- Lew

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 25, 1:50 pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> No anomalies for me.

Thanks.. What OS/Java are you running?

> That Kev is talented.

Would you believe that
a) He claims to have lost his ability to
focus.
b) That was simply a doodle intended to
show his daughter some techniques for
color mixing. He never expected it to
be publicly seen.

(Some of the works he did in his younger
days were *awesome*, but unfortunately I
have only been able to get poor quality
reproductions of them)

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 25, 2:44 pm, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lew wrote:
> >> No anomalies for me.

> John T wrote:
> > I used Firefox. What did you use?

I do not believe the browser should be relevant.
(Though - famous last words, a recent problem
with a memory leak in a JWS app. was revealed
to be related to the browser* that launched it,
combined with Java Control Panel settings that
advised 'use browser as proxy' or something
like that)

* OK - the 'OS component' (IE).

>...Is there any difference in
> performance on say *ux platforms form Windows?

> > Is there any difference in
> > performance on say *ux platforms form Windows?

> I used Firefox under Fedora Core 6, running the Java under j5.

FWIW - I was using IE on windows. I think it
is more related to the Java Plug-In for the OS.

So far we have two failures for Windows,
using both FF and IE, and one success using
FF in Linux.

I am beginning to see a pattern, which suggests
the Windows Java Plug-In is the problem.

Andrew T.