Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > WebStart caching test.

WebStart caching test.

Dag Sunde

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> (quoting myself from an earlier thread*)
>
>> WebStart caching test - a test of the 'lazy' download
>> attribute (good for getting applications on-screen fast,
>> amongst other things).

> <http://www.physci.org/jws/cache/#eg6>
>
>> The theory is that the (<20KB) of classes of this
>> (sandboxed) application should spring onto screen
>> quickly, but once the user clicks a list entry, the
>> media files (ranging from 270-370Kb) will then be
>> downloaded and cached (and displayed).

> The aim of this test is to get a workable progress
> dialog, for the lazy downloads.
>
> This is now version 6, and I am still getting
> odd results. It seems to work just fine off the
> local file-system, but fails when coming off the
> net (see the link for details).
>
> Can anyone confirm the same behaviour (fails
> for net, works off file system)?
>

> * Note. This was intended as a follow-up to msgID
> (E-Mail Removed) om
> with the same Subject. For some reason (perhaps
> because the last post on that thread was
> last October) the GG WITUN is not offering a
> 'Reply' link for it (only 'Reply to Author').

Firefox 2.0.0.1, WinXP SP2

Loaded normally, Showed progress for each picture the first time
i clicked on each. Progress dialog disappeared properly after each.
Second time around, cache obviously worked; No progress dialog,
and the picures appeared instantaneously.

Third time I opened it from IE6, and it behaved like the second time.
(Already in cache).

Last time Opened from Opera 9: Same result, all ok.

--
Dag.

Chris Uppal

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> It was the 'second and every other' call
> that failed for me. For this it was
> 1) showed a PD saying 'verifying ..'
> 2) no progress was shown, and the dialog ..
> 3) did not disappear after the picture
> arrived (though it could be closed by
> user).

That's what I see too. WinXP, 1.6 JRE, FireFox 1.5.

Revisiting the JNLP works OK, though -- the cache is used without any drama.

-- chris

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> FWIW - I was using IE on windows. I think it
> is more related to the Java Plug-In for the OS.
>
> So far we have two failures for Windows,
> using both FF and IE, and one success using
> FF in Linux.
>
> I am beginning to see a pattern, which suggests
> the Windows Java Plug-In is the problem.

I didn't use the plug-in.

- Lew

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 25, 9:13 pm, "Dag Sunde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>
> >> WebStart caching test -

> Firefox 2.0.0.1, WinXP SP2
>
> Loaded normally, Showed progress for each picture the first time
> i clicked on each. Progress dialog disappeared properly after each.

> Last time Opened from Opera 9: Same result, all ok.

Huh! Your result is anomalous in being
the first *success* off a Win based system,
What Java version are you running?

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 26, 1:40 am, "Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-
THIS.org> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > It was the 'second and every other' call
> > that failed for me.

> That's what I see too. WinXP, 1.6 JRE, FireFox 1.5.

Thanks chris. That's 3 out of 4 failures
(all worked OK for Dag) for Win. based
machines so far.

> Revisiting the JNLP works OK, though -- the cache is used without any drama.

(phew) ..at least part of it seems to
work reliably!

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 26, 2:37 am, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>
> > FWIW - I was using IE on windows. I think it
> > is more related to the Java Plug-In for the OS.

> I didn't use the plug-in.

Is this a naming problem? I have gotten to
referring to any old Java on a computer as a
'Java Plug-In'. Perhaps I should just revert
to saying 'Java'.

Andrew T.

Patricia Shanahan

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> ..
>> Firefox 2.0.0.1, WinXP SP2
>>
>> Loaded normally, Showed progress for each picture the first time
>> i clicked on each. Progress dialog disappeared properly after each.

> ..
>> Last time Opened from Opera 9: Same result, all ok.

> Huh! Your result is anomalous in being
> the first *success* off a Win based system,
> What Java version are you running?
>
> Andrew T.

I didn't realize success was so unusual. WinXP SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.10.

The only anomaly was some hesitation and rewinding of the progress bar
during download of the third image, but that may be due to using an
802.11 wireless link.

Patricia

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 26, 5:15 am, Patricia Shanahan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I didn't realize success was so unusual.

I have had good results from most of the
web start API examples, from the first test.
I have had success with lazy downloads
*without* a progress dialog (which makes
for a horrid user experience). It is just
this example of both using lazy downloads
combined with a progress dialog, that is
causing a problem.

Note that if these resources are marked
'eager', it is very easy for the developer,
and the end user gets a (working) progress
dialog as a matter of course.

>..WinXP SP2, Firefox 1.5.0.10.
>
> The only anomaly was some hesitation and rewinding of the progress bar
> during download of the third image, but that may be due to using an
> 802.11 wireless link.

OK. I am counting that as a second success
for Java on Win., I also have observed (a
form of) the 'rewinding' effect you mention.

The progress dialog bar did not actually go
backwards, but it sometimes pauses for 'a few
moments' and the time changes to a message
along the lines of 'download stalled', also
sometimes as the seconds are counting down,
they will 'jump back up' (19 sec., 18 sec.
.... 23 sec. 22 sec.).

I am guessing the 'download stalled' message
appears if the stream delivers 0 bytes for a
few seconds, and the second is the result of
the stream byte rate dropping.

I need to summarise these results in a
table, I can see no clear pattern now,
with the few Win. successes thrown into
the mix.

Andrew T.

Dag Sunde

Andrew Thompson wrote:

> ..
>> Firefox 2.0.0.1, WinXP SP2
>>
>> Loaded normally, Showed progress for each picture the first time
>> i clicked on each. Progress dialog disappeared properly after each.
>> .. Last time Opened from Opera 9: Same result, all ok.

> Huh! Your result is anomalous in being
> the first *success* off a Win based system,
> What Java version are you running?

From plugin console:
<quote>
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_10
Using JRE version 1.5.0_10 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings
</quote>

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Is this a naming problem? I have gotten to
> referring to any old Java on a computer as a
> 'Java Plug-In'. Perhaps I should just revert
> to saying 'Java'.

I suppose so. Sun says "Java Plug-in" to refer to the component that runs
applets in browsers. I use a download association that tells Firefox to
forward .jnlp files to an instance of a v5 WebStart. This is the same type of
association that tells Firefox to forward .pdf files to a PDF viewer.

- Lew