Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > permutation with repetition

permutation with repetition

artem

hi all,

i am trying to write a program that will give me all permutations of
the given set, with repetition.
ex:
set: {A,B,C} length: 3 (the user enters the set and the length)
AAA
AAB
AAC
ABA
ABC

i understand the algorithem, but still cant write it. could someone
give me the source for this or help me to write it.

thank you

voorth

On Feb 23, 5:19 am, "artem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i am trying to write a program that will give me all permutations of
> the given set, with repetition.
> ex:
> set: {A,B,C} length: 3 (the user enters the set and the length)
> AAA
> AAB
> AAC
> ABA
> ABC
>
> i understand the algorithem, but still cant write it. could someone
> give me the source for this or help me to write it.
>
> thank you

Just a hint: nested for loops.

oh, and are you aware that what you want as output is not a
permutation?

-- Henk van Voorthuijsen

Oliver Wong

"artem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> hi all,
>
> i am trying to write a program that will give me all permutations of
> the given set, with repetition.
> ex:
> set: {A,B,C} length: 3 (the user enters the set and the length)
> AAA
> AAB
> AAC
> ABA
> ABC
>
> i understand the algorithem, but still cant write it. could someone
> give me the source for this or help me to write it.

What's the algorithm?

- Oliver

Ken

> > i understand the algorithem, but still cant write it. could someone
> > give me the source for this or help me to write it.

> What's the algorithm?
>
> - Oliver

Oh thats quite simple...

1) Find a news group
2) Ask for group to do your homework
3) Read results
4) If results are not adequate branch to 1

sohaninfo@gmail.com

On Feb 23, 9:19 am, "artem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i am trying to write a program that will give me all permutations of
> the given set, with repetition.
> ex:
> set: {A,B,C} length: 3 (the user enters the set and the length)
> AAA
> AAB
> AAC
> ABA
> ABC
>
> i understand the algorithem, but still cant write it. could someone
> give me the source for this or help me to write it.
>
> thank you

import ncst.pgdst.*;

public class permutation{
public static void main(String[] agrs)throws Exception
{
SimpleInput si=new SimpleInput();
Perm pm=new Perm();
pm.permute(0);

}
}

class Perm{
int n,r=3,count,size=3,RHS;
char charList[]=new char[26];
char chrs[]={'a','b','c'};
char arr[]={'a','b','c'};
void swap(char []a, int i, int j)
{
char temp;
temp=a[i];
a[i]=a[j];
a[j]=temp;

}
void permute(int start)
{
int i,j;
if(start==r)
{

{
for(i=0;i<r;i++)
System.out.print(charList[i]);
System.out.println();
}
}
else
{
i=start;
int k=0;
for(j=0;j<3;j++)
{
charList[i]=chrs[k++];
permute(start+1);
}

}
}
void permute2(int i)
{
int j=0,k=0;
char temp;
if(i == size)
{
return;
}
for(j = i; j < size; j++)
{

swap(arr,i,j);
permute2(i+1);
if(i == size - 1)
{
System.out.print("Permute["+count+"]=");
// for(k = 0;k< size;k++)
System.out.print(arr);
System.out.println();
swap(arr,j,i);
}

temp = arr[i];
arr[i] = arr[j];
arr[j] = temp;
}
}
}

Hendrik Maryns

Lew

Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> <snip a solution> Tsk, tsk.
>
> First of all: http://mindprod.com/jgloss/homework.html
>
> But then, you could have done some searching:
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/permutation.html

It's been about four weeks. The homework had to have been due before now. It
should be safe to post a solution.

Maybe next semester's crowd will search Usenet for the answer and plagiarize
it then.

-- Lew