Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > browser developed using swing library

browser developed using swing library

isha

ive used jeditorpane n jframe in my browser.its purely based on swing
components.the problem is that google gets displayed but i cant search
nething on it...gmail doesnt get displayed at all...quite a number of
pages aint displayed for that matter..what shuld i do,plz help!!!!

Andrew Thompson

*

>..plz help!!!!

* I suggest the following..
- Refrain from using SMS style text (e.g. plz).
- Use correct case for J2SE classes like JFrame
- Start each senttence with an upper case letter

(all to assist the reader)

As to your technical question, it is easy
to parse and render valid HTML, but a
'real world' browser has to parse lots of
malformed web pages. Swing's JEditorPane
is not suited to that.

I suggest you use a real browser instead.

(Note the exact problem in this case might
be Google refusing to work with anything that
identifies itself as 'Java' in the headers,
but the advice still applies.)

Andrew T.

Mark Space

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> - Refrain from using SMS style text (e.g. plz).

Just curious: what is SMS? I'd call abbreviations like that "chat" or
txtmsg, myself.

> (Note the exact problem in this case might
> be Google refusing to work with anything that
> identifies itself as 'Java' in the headers,
> but the advice still applies.)

That and he (she?) mentioned gmail, which relies heavily on Ajax and
Javascript. Javascript is not HTML and it's not Java. It's a whole new
ball of wax and not "run" by the Java HTML renderer. The OP can have
fun with that one.

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 22, 10:16 am, Mark Space <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > - Refrain from using SMS style text (e.g. plz).

> Just curious: what is SMS?

I am not sure what you mean, but taking the
most literal interpretation of your words..
<http://www.google.com/search?q=acronym+sms>
'Short Message Service'.

>..I'd call abbreviations like that "chat" or
> txtmsg, myself.

I would not dare use a string such as
'txtmsg' when asking a person not to
use 'plz', I see them as a very similar
style of abbreviation.

I am not that familiar with 'chat'.
Would it convey the concept better?
(I'll take your comment as 1 vote 'yes',
but am also interested in what others think)

Andrew T.

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> I would not dare use a string such as 'txtmsg'
> when asking a person not to use 'plz',
> I see them as a very similar style of abbreviation.
>
> I am not that familiar with 'chat'.
> Would it convey the concept better?

"Chat", which I guess to be the term from the heyday of IRC, and "IM" refer to
the online style of abbreviated speech: LOL, ROTFL, OMG! This was the
progenitor of SMSese, the lingo fractured of the cell phone text message. They
are quite similar, especially amongst the younguns. Another name is "l33t"
("leet"), as used by the "elite" of the "hax0r" world, or "leetspeak"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak>,
er,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leetspeak>.

I use cell phone text messaging a lot, but fogey that I am I tend to spell out
my words even over SMS.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Orwell>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four>

- Lew