Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > bandwith

bandwith

sali

have corporate network built with vpn through internet, mainly cisco 1721
and 805.
traffic is for mail, http, ftp and main online accounting client/server
application.
since main app is time critical, is it possible to devote guarrantied
bandwith to application's traffic request as priority?
various mail or http requests may wait, but accounting app not.
accounting app traffic is recognized by tcp/ip port used.

thanks for comments.

Stuart Wilcox

yes, you'd probably want to investigate low latency queuing. usually used
for voip.

"sali" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5jhvi$aaj$(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr...
> have corporate network built with vpn through internet, mainly cisco 1721
> and 805.
> traffic is for mail, http, ftp and main online accounting client/server
> application.
> since main app is time critical, is it possible to devote guarrantied
> bandwith to application's traffic request as priority?
> various mail or http requests may wait, but accounting app not.
> accounting app traffic is recognized by tcp/ip port used.
>
> thanks for comments.

stephen

"Stuart Wilcox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsecfe.20426$(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, you'd probably want to investigate low latency queuing. usually used
> for voip.

BUT - your priority settings will only affect your routers - once the
packets are launched into the big, bad Internet, then they probably get no
special QoS treatment.

So if a dozen of your sites send 500 Kbps each to a central site with a 1.5
Mbps line - 75% of all the packets will get thrown away on the final hop out
of the internet into the central site, and you have no real influence on
which ones.

QoS settings on the routers sending the traffic into the Internet cant
control this kind of contention inside the cloud unless the cloud supports
QoS.

if you need QoS to make your apps work, then you either need some sort of
enhanced service from your ISP (and probably a common ISP for all the
sites), or throttle traffic to limit contention, or maybe a private network.

--
Regards

sali

"stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qBqfe.20753$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Stuart Wilcox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsecfe.20426$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > yes, you'd probably want to investigate low latency queuing. usually

used
> > for voip.

> BUT - your priority settings will only affect your routers - once the
> packets are launched into the big, bad Internet, then they probably get no
> special QoS treatment.

thanks, but my network is primarily "vpn", i mean, we have "traced" fixed
guarantied bandwith through internet through tunnels.
my concern is bandwith distribution inside that vpn.

bandwith Dialer 0 Bas van Koert Cisco 1 02-04-2005 12:12 AM
sho serial interface - available bandwith Stefan Heinrich Cisco 2 10-08-2004 05:40 PM
Bandwith Size rc Cisco 1 07-14-2004 01:56 PM
Bandwith control in 3550 switch Mr Ping Cisco 1 04-28-2004 08:01 AM
bgp link bandwith Glenn Cisco 0 10-29-2003 04:48 PM

Advertisments