Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Applet/Browser communication

Applet/Browser communication

bjorn

I have an applet that displays data in graph-form depending on user
input. If the user wants to save this data a BufferedImage is created
and the user can save this to file. This requires the applet to be
signed to get access to the users filesystem.
However I would like to be able to display this image in a new browser
window without saving it and thus eliminating the need to sign the
applet.
So I wonder if there is any possibility to send the image(which only
exists in memory) to a browser window?

Michael Rauscher

bjorn wrote:
> So I wonder if there is any possibility to send the image(which only
> exists in memory) to a browser window?

None that I know of.

You could send the image back to the server and open a URL to it - but
this would be really stupid. First, you'd transfer the image two times
over the network. Second, the server has to process the uploaded file
(it must be stored somewhere) and to handle two requests...

So: sign the applet.

Bye
Michael

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 16, 9:04 pm, "bjorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have an applet that displays data in graph-form depending on user
> input. If the user wants to save this data a BufferedImage is created
> and the user can save this to file. This requires the applet to be
> signed to get access to the users filesystem.

...or that you launch the applet using web start,
and use the JNLP API to access the file system.
E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#fs>

Andrew T.