Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > jogl

Reply
 
 
ivan danicic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
Hello All, in order to write an applet using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example
using no special libraries etc. Would some kind person please supply one.
I can write JOGL non applet programs.
Ivan

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
On Feb 15, 10:56 pm, ivan danicic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello All, in order to write an applet
> using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example


If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.

> using no special libraries etc.


You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?

>..Would some kind person please supply one.


What is your budget for this example?

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Uppal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Feb 15, 10:56 pm, ivan danicic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hello All, in order to write an applet
> > using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example

>
> If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.
>
> > using no special libraries etc.

>
> You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?
>
> > ..Would some kind person please supply one.

>
> What is your budget for this example?


Andrew, I think you have misinterpreted the tone of the OP's request.

To the OP: but Andrew's advice to forget applets and use webstart for this is
almost certainly correct. Personally I don't know much about JOGL (except that
it runs very badly on my machine), but it /needs/ add-on libraries and I don't
think that is (or should be) possible for an applet[*].

([*] maybe if it's signed ? But then you are definitely not talking
'simple'...)

-- chris


 
Reply With Quote
 
ivan danicic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
Andrew Thompson wrote:

> On Feb 15, 10:56 pm, ivan danicic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello All, in order to write an applet
>> using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example

>
> If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.
>
>> using no special libraries etc.

>
> You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?
>
>>..Would some kind person please supply one.

>
> What is your budget for this example?
>
> Andrew T.

Hello, No rabbit, no budget, just want a polite reply.
Ivan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
On Feb 16, 5:29 am, "Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-
THIS.org> wrote:

> ...Personally I don't know much about JOGL (except that
> it runs very badly on my machine), but it /needs/ add-on libraries and I don't
> think that is (or should be) possible for an applet[*].


I managed to get JOGL running as an applet,
only after the JOGL binaries were installed,
and then only once each browser session.

The problem seemed to be that JOGL was
calling functionality that is not available
to applets (System.exit() AFAIR), failing,
and failing to clean up after itself.

Further JOGL applets (or the same page
refreshed) would have the applet fail
to start.

> ([*] maybe if it's signed ? But then you are definitely not talking
> 'simple'...)


I tried supplying the classes and
natives to the applet, could not get
it to work, signed or otherwise.

OTOH - a web start launch is simplicity
itself. The JOGL libs. are available
as a JWS <component-descriptor> that
the developer can simply link to from
within their own JNLP.

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
ivan danicic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
Andrew Thompson wrote:

> On Feb 16, 5:29 am, "Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-
> THIS.org> wrote:
>
>> ...Personally I don't know much about JOGL (except that
>> it runs very badly on my machine), but it /needs/ add-on libraries and I
>> don't think that is (or should be) possible for an applet[*].

>
> I managed to get JOGL running as an applet,
> only after the JOGL binaries were installed,
> and then only once each browser session.
>
> The problem seemed to be that JOGL was
> calling functionality that is not available
> to applets (System.exit() AFAIR), failing,
> and failing to clean up after itself.
>
> Further JOGL applets (or the same page
> refreshed) would have the applet fail
> to start.
>
>> ([*] maybe if it's signed ? But then you are definitely not talking
>> 'simple'...)

>
> I tried supplying the classes and
> natives to the applet, could not get
> it to work, signed or otherwise.
>
> OTOH - a web start launch is simplicity
> itself. The JOGL libs. are available
> as a JWS <component-descriptor> that
> the developer can simply link to from
> within their own JNLP.
>
> Andrew T.

Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
"main()") I can get this to run in my web page? What extra work needs to be
done? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
On Feb 16, 8:16 am, ivan danicic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
> "main()") I can get this to run in my web page?


Nothing I was talking about works 'in'
a web page. Web start launches a free
floating frame or applet, but it can
be launched using a JNLP (web start)
file linked *from* a web page.

E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

>..What extra work needs to be
> done?


Web start can launch applets.

> ..Any comments gratefully received.


Even if they are not (what you would
consider to be) 'polite'?

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
RedGrittyBrick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
ivan danicic wrote:
> Hello All, in order to write an applet using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example
> using no special libraries etc. Would some kind person please supply one.
> I can write JOGL non applet programs.
> Ivan
>


Googling for jogl reveals

https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html

"The new JOGL Applet Launcher enables the creation and deployment of
applets using 3D graphics via OpenGL without requiring the applet to be
signed or performing any manual installation of software on users'
computers. It has been tested and should work on any OS/CPU combination
supported by JOGL with a Java Runtime Environment version 1.4.2 or later
installed into the web browser. Here is an example of the standard Gears
demo running as an applet:"

Not knowing jogl I have no way of telling if what the page refers to
meets your requirements of "simple" and "no special libraries" but the
wording strongly suggests that this may be the case.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alex Hunsley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2007
Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Feb 16, 8:16 am, ivan danicic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
>> "main()") I can get this to run in my web page?

>
> Nothing I was talking about works 'in'
> a web page. Web start launches a free
> floating frame or applet, but it can
> be launched using a JNLP (web start)
> file linked *from* a web page.
>
> E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>


Interesting page, thanks. JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
methinks.
Are you the AndrewThompson64 user you mention on your webpage above? I'm
just curious. Same name, but you talk about them in 3rd person, which
looks like it isn't you....

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2007
On Feb 16, 10:31 am, Alex Hunsley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 8:16 am, ivan danicic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


> > E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

>
> Interesting page, thanks.


You're welcome.

>..JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
> methinks.


I will continue to do my bit to promote
this wonderful deployment technology, from
suggesting it every time I here the word
'applet' or any application deployment
suited to JWS, to putting up complete
examples of use of web start and the JNLP
API.

> Are you the AndrewThompson64 user you mention on your webpage above?


Yes. I would link to my posts on usenet,
but those Sun posts are generally more
specific to web start.

>..I'm
> just curious. Same name, but you talk about them in 3rd person, which
> looks like it isn't you....


umm.. had not realised. I was probably
just trying to get away from my excessive
use of the word 'I'.

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JWS/JOGL test.. Andrew Thompson Java 21 10-15-2005 10:01 AM
JOGL too slow Reza Roby Java 1 06-24-2004 05:25 PM
JOGL too slow Reza Roby Java 10 05-09-2004 05:57 AM
[JOGL] - small webstar test Olaf Kliche Java 0 04-13-2004 09:25 PM
gl4java or jogl? Bura Tino Java 13 07-04-2003 02:06 AM



Advertisments