Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Help for a project

Help for a project

boyScout

Hi guys, I'm doing my final year project about criminal record using
java but I still don't know what to use. I want the database to be
accessed to any user who has an access from any police stations with a
country. Should I use servlets or just something like java swing and
networking (socket)? I mean, suppose police has many station through
the country and any police user with this right should access the
database and even enter new record for any criminal. Please just tell
me what to do, about which technology to use servlet or java swing.
Thanks

Lew

boyScout wrote:
> which technology to use servlet or java swing.

That depends on whether you want the users to access via HTML or custom
networking.

Usually it is better to map out the user experience first, then figure out
which approach best supports that experience, than to work it the other way
'round.

In principle, once you have figured out exactly how the application should
behave, both logically and interactively, then you can implement a common
business logic foundation and layer different front ends onto it. That way you
could have both a Swing-based application and a Web app for the same
functionality.

- Lew

boyScout

Most of the users are familiar to web browser. So my question was
about, between web-app and swing-app, which one should be more secure
and reliable in terms of access. Thanks

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 11, 1:28 am, "boyScout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Most of the users are familiar to web browser. So my question was
> about, between web-app and swing-app, which one should be more secure

Swing app. I cannot imagine you could
(reliably) offer secure web access, using
'any old browser that might visit'.

> and reliable in terms of access.

Hard to say. That would depend on the
end users possession of ..