Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Help- Hint

Help- Hint

Yumex85

Hello
Im new to Java, and Id like to get some hints of experienced
programmers. Right now Im studying Head First Java to learn basic
concepts of Java. What kind of book should I get next? Of course Im
trying to code myself a lot , not only reading stuff. Id like to get
SCJP certification, and work with Java. Should I get a Eclipse book?
JSP? Certification book? There are so many things which im not sure
what they exactly are, Id like to get some advice from experienced
people =)
Thanks a lot
Yumi

bugnthecode

On Feb 5, 9:13 am, "Yumex85" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello
> Im new to Java, and Id like to get some hints of experienced
> programmers. Right now Im studying Head First Java to learn basic
> concepts of Java. What kind of book should I get next? Of course Im
> trying to code myself a lot , not only reading stuff. Id like to get
> SCJP certification, and work with Java. Should I get a Eclipse book?
> JSP? Certification book? There are so many things which im not sure
> what they exactly are, Id like to get some advice from experienced
> people =)
> Thanks a lot
> Yumi

Hi there, and welcome to Java! I'm not exactly an experience
programmer, but I have read the head first book and it is a good one.
A book I would recommend reading when you finish that one is "Core
Java 2 , Volume 2: Advanced Features". Some of the concepts in the
book may be a little hard to grasp at first, but I have found that
through my various Java project journeys I return to that book time
and time again for deeper explanations, or for code examples. As far
as getting an eclipse book, you can probably wait until you've got
some more coding under your belt because you'll also want to
understand build scripts using ant, class hierarchy and packaging(jar
files) before getting too far into eclipse.

I'm sure some more experienced developers will chime in as well, but
that's my 2 cents.
Hope that helps,
Will

John T

bugnthecode wrote:
> On Feb 5, 9:13 am, "Yumex85" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hello
>> Im new to Java, and Id like to get some hints of experienced
>> programmers. Right now Im studying Head First Java to learn basic
>> concepts of Java. What kind of book should I get next? Of course Im
>> trying to code myself a lot , not only reading stuff. Id like to get
>> SCJP certification, and work with Java. Should I get a Eclipse book?
>> JSP? Certification book? There are so many things which im not sure
>> what they exactly are, Id like to get some advice from experienced
>> people =)
>> Thanks a lot
>> Yumi

> Hi there, and welcome to Java! I'm not exactly an experience
> programmer, but I have read the head first book and it is a good one.
> A book I would recommend reading when you finish that one is "Core
> Java 2 , Volume 2: Advanced Features". Some of the concepts in the
> book may be a little hard to grasp at first, but I have found that
> through my various Java project journeys I return to that book time
> and time again for deeper explanations, or for code examples. As far
> as getting an eclipse book, you can probably wait until you've got
> some more coding under your belt because you'll also want to
> understand build scripts using ant, class hierarchy and packaging(jar
> files) before getting too far into eclipse.
>
> I'm sure some more experienced developers will chime in as well, but
> that's my 2 cents.
> Hope that helps,
> Will

Thinking In Java by Bruce Eckel is a good book. I also use Java in a
Nutshell as a reference.

Once you are ready for really cool stuff, I would suggest Head First
Object Oriented Design and Analysis and HF Design Patterns. Learn as
much as you can about design patterns...

Yumex85

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate your suggestions! As soon as I
finish Head First, I will check those books you mentioned!

PIX VPN debugging hint Walter Roberson Cisco 0 10-18-2005 04:56 AM
How to create a hint? Marek ASP .Net 5 12-27-2004 04:13 PM
can anyone give me a hint Robert MCSD 0 08-11-2004 05:49 PM
[Eclipse] Another hint..required ShadowMan Java 5 06-11-2004 02:12 PM
More confused than ever. Please give me a hint. Daniel Pope Java 5 02-22-2004 04:20 PM

Advertisments