Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java Certification Exam Query

Java Certification Exam Query

AK

Hi friends,
This is my first post in a newsgroup. I am planning to appear for the SCJP
exam for Java 5 in mid-march. I wish to know about the industry
recognition for the same. As I donot have any traditional workexperience
will it be useful in establishing my proficiency.
kind regards
AK

Andy Dingley

On 5 Feb, 09:37, AK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am planning to appear for the SCJP exam for Java 5 in mid-march.
> I wish to know about the industry recognition for the same.

This exam series, along with the Cisco networking certifications, are
just about the only industry accreditations that have much recognition
or any respect at all. They're certainly in a league above MCSE or
CIW.

AK

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Andy Dingley wrote:

Andy,
Thanks a lot for your reply. But I came to know that there is no
distinction between the candidates who clear the exam (as in a person
securing 85% and the one sceuring 58% are on the same level).
kind regards
AK

--
(E-Mail Removed)

Thomas Dickey

Andy Dingley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 5 Feb, 09:37, AK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I am planning to appear for the SCJP exam for Java 5 in mid-march.
>> I wish to know about the industry recognition for the same.

> This exam series, along with the Cisco networking certifications, are
> just about the only industry accreditations that have much recognition
> or any respect at all. They're certainly in a league above MCSE or
> CIW.

That might be true, but it would be interesting to see some objective
comparison, e.g., a survey with some numbers. Newsgroup postings tend
to lack that (and it's indisputable that he would get a different answer
by posting in a different newsgroup).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Andy Dingley

On 5 Feb, 13:25, Thomas Dickey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> That might be true, but it would be interesting to see some objective
> comparison, e.g., a survey with some numbers.

For a sample of one, my employer's policy is to buy team drinks and "a
sliding scale of meal venues: Mc Donalds for /SCJP up to Michelin 3
Star for /SCEA " for Java, but nothing for MCSE.

Proton Projects - Moin

On Feb 5, 6:21 pm, AK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Andy Dingley wrote:
>
> Andy,
> Thanks a lot for your reply. But I came to know that there is no
> distinction between the candidates who clear the exam (as in a person
> securing 85% and the one sceuring 58% are on the same level).
> kind regards
> AK
>
> > On 5 Feb, 09:37, AK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I am planning to appear for the SCJP exam for Java 5 in mid-march.
> >> I wish to know about the industry recognition for the same.

> > This exam series, along with the Cisco networking certifications, are
> > just about the only industry accreditations that have much recognition
> > or any respect at all. They're certainly in a league above MCSE or
> > CIW.

> --
> (E-Mail Removed)
> SDF Public Access UNIX System -http://sdf.lonestar.org

Hi,

You are right, there is no distinction between the person who gets 85%
and 58%. The test is planned in such a way...if u r able to clear the
exam with minimum pass percentage 52% means...then u r eligible to
work in java...

Certification will not have that much impact ....i will explain this
with my personal experience..i am scjp, brainbench, OCA...guy...these
certification helps my cv to be shortlisted in interviews.....even
though i have certification...they conducted tech interviews but in a
different way...they didnt asked me any stupid questions on java like
size of double, what is encapsulation, what is oops......rather than
they asked me some practical q's like structure of JVM, algorithm and
working of JVM, why we are going for OOPS rather than strucutured/
procedure language..diff between JDK, JRE,and so on..

Certifications will help u in the final selection in considering u to
be the right person for the job...
say two people came to the interview...one has got 2+ exp and
certifications, other guy got 2.5+ and no certification....

if both person did the tech interview well and package is also some
wat similar..then the candidate precendence will increase for
certified person..company will consider the certified guy bcoz they
think that person is ready to allocate some time for his own
development.......that will make the difference

Thanks
moin

arun

certification is an added advantage.It will be always useful .

dagarwal82@gmail.com

Hi AK,
Just one thing i want to say to you that you must look at once the
java specification tutorial before appearing in the exam.
You can get it from http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition.
Because it will tell you a lot of things that you may not be knowing.
For an example just tell the output of the following program :-
class Super {
Super() {
printThree();
}

void printThree() {
System.out.println("three");
}
}

class Test extends Super {
int three = (int)Math.PI; // That is, 3
public static void main(String[] args){
Test t = new Test();
t.printThree();
}

On 5 Feb, 13:21, AK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your reply. But I came to know that there is no
> distinction between the candidates who clear the exam (as in a person
> securing 85% and the one sceuring 58% are on the same level).

Moin said it well. You only get "certified", not "highly certified".
It doesn't distinguish good Java people, it distinguishes the average
and keen from the bad and from the average but less keen.

Recruiting is hard work. One easy way to filter out the poor
candidates is to simply paper-sort the certified from the non-
certified. I know this will probably lose my best candidates (they
don't feel any need to get certified) but it also filters out the huge
number of applicants who don't know Unix from eunuchs. This saves me,
as a manager, an awful lot of effort! Until you've done recruitment
yourself, you wouldn't believe the high proportion of clueless idiots
who apply anyway. Most of "recruitment" is sadly about avoiding
idiots in favour of the acceptably competent, not about selecting the
very best people. For "best" I'd only trust long personal experience
of that one candidate, or similar experience of colleagues who'd
worked with them before.

If I were putting a start-up together, then I'd want the very best
people (not many of them) and I'd recruit solely by personal
recommendation of who was really good. If I'm trying to find 3 more
warm bodies for a gas-bill shop, then I'd just only recruit certified
programmers.

If I'm being interviewed and I have some relevant certification, I
_never_ mention it.

AK

Moin,
Thanks a lot for the insight. Now I am clearly understand the value of the
SCJP.
kind regards
AK
--