Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Jar test, with 1.4 VM?

Reply
Thread Tools

Jar test, with 1.4 VM?

 
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-05-2007
Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
sandboxed, 350 Kb JWS launch(1) in it for me?

The launch file is here..
<http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>

(1) I want to put a web start launch of genealogical
data (family tree) for my rels. using a Java based
application. Having had good experiences with
GenealogyJ, I tried web starting the application,
but experienced problems with it that I have not
had time to resolve.

Since then, I found a build of the GenJ *applet*
that *claims* to be 1.4+, but just wanted to
(2) confirm it works in 1.4, before I make it 'public'
to the folks.

If that fails, try the equivalent for 1.5(3), if you would.
I only have 1.6 installed, and worry about killing
my (fragile) set-up, whenever it comes to installing
*earlier* versions.

(3) All launch files are here..
<http://www.athompson.info/family/>

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chris Uppal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-05-2007
Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
> sandboxed, 350 Kb JWS launch(1) in it for me?
>
> The launch file is here..
> <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>


I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ? I tried:

./javaws <that url>

on both of them, but they asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
earlier JRE 1.4.0 -- which, I'm afraid, I didn't want to allow.

-- chris


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-05-2007
On Feb 6, 2:42 am, "Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-
THIS.org> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
> > sandboxed, 350 Kb JWS launch(1) in it for me?

>
> > The launch file is here..
> > <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>

>
> I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
> machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ?

....
> on both of them, but they asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
> earlier JRE 1.4.0 ..


That is disturbing, I would expect it to find
the earlier versions. I'll need to look into it
further.

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2007
On Feb 6, 2:42 am, "Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-
THIS.org> wrote:
....
> I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
> machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ?

....
>... asked me whether I wanted to dowload and install the
> earlier JRE 1.4.0


This thread at the Web Start forum at the Sun,
forums requests further information/clarification
of the behaviour of the version attribute of the
j2se element.
<http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5133244>

Will return to this thread when/if I get more
information..

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Uppal
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2007
Andrew Thompson wrote:

> Will return to this thread when/if I get more
> information..


Good luck !

BTW, one thing that I should have made clearer is that I tried to use the
javaws.exe from the 1.4.2 installation(s) to launch your jnlp URL. Not knowing
much about JNLP, it didn't even occur to me that the "default" JLNP processing
(a 1.6 installation, on this machine) would invoke anything other than the most
up-to-date JRE available.

-- chris


 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2007
On Feb 7, 4:52 am, "Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-
THIS.org> wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
> > Will return to this thread when/if I get more
> > information..

>
> Good luck !


Thanks. Funny thing with that exact Jar is,
wghile Jar claiming to be compatible with 1.4+,
it is actually Java compatible with *1.1*!
Given it uses JFreeChart, and icons for
buttons, I had not noticed, specifically..

So I'll continue that versioning question
with a dedicated Jar (smaller than the
313Kb required for the applet) later..

> BTW, one thing that I should have made clearer is that I tried to use the
> javaws.exe from the 1.4.2 installation(s) to launch your jnlp URL.


Huh.. If anything should have worked, I
expect /that/ should have.

>...Not knowing
> much about JNLP, it didn't even occur to me that the "default" JLNP processing
> (a 1.6 installation, on this machine) would invoke anything other than the most
> up-to-date JRE available.


Thanks for the info.

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
On Feb 6, 2:42 am, "Chris Uppal" <(E-Mail Removed)-
THIS.org> wrote:
> AndrewThompson wrote:
> > Do you have a 1.4 VM installed, and could you test(2) a
> > sandboxed, 350 KbJWSlaunch(1) in it for me?

>
> > The launch file is here..
> > <http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.4.jnlp>


N.B. Of historical interest, only.*

> I have still healthy (apparently) installations of 1.4.2 on a couple of
> machines. Is there a way to persuade them to run that JNLP ?


The first attempts included a href for
the download URL of the JRE, which changes
the behaviour of web start in that only
an exact match** will work.

To do what I wanted, and get 'any 1.4 VM',
it is necessary to lose the download URL.
** This is perhaps better explained by
Dietz333 on the Sun forum thread..
<http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5133244>

In any case, I have seen it work with the
1.5 JNLP, and (expect) it should now also
work with the 1.4 JNLP. (* If you can try
it with your 1.4 VM, it would be nice to
know this works for 1.4 as well, but it
is not vital..)

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
On Feb 15, 7:42 am, "Andrew Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
....
> <http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5133244>


After carefully reading that again, I
realised Dietz333 (Andy) was *also*
saying that ..

<j2se
version='1.5*'
href='http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se'>

...should work to select 'any' 1.5 VM
(that is installed, public, enabled) -
without prompting download.

I confirmed that just now, asking for
1.5* in this JNLP..
<http://www.athompson.info/family/thompson-1.5-all.jnlp>

Andrew T.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
java -cp a.jar -jar b.jar => Works on Windows, not on Debian cyberco Java 4 02-14-2006 06:27 AM
jaas.jar, jta.jar jdbc-stdext.jar missing from jdk1.5 RPM muttley Java 0 10-20-2005 02:40 PM
Differences of xercesImpl.jar, xercesImpl-J.jar, dom3-xercesImpl.jar ? Arnold Peters Java 0 01-05-2005 10:59 PM
Differences of xercesImpl.jar, xercesImpl-J.jar, dom3-xercesImpl.jar ? Arnold Peters XML 0 01-05-2005 10:59 PM
Jar file cannot find main class - gfSetup.jar (0/1) James Alan Farrell Java 6 01-09-2004 12:40 PM



Advertisments