Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Problems with an Applet that works from appletviewer

Problems with an Applet that works from appletviewer

418928@cepsz.unizar.es

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to make an applet work... The applet works with
appletviewer, but different bad things happen when I try to open the
html file from a web browser:

-If I use Opera, it starts OK, but then the applet never seems to get
the focus. The applet must do things when I push a key, but pressing
the key only affects the browser. For example, if I press the space
bar, the scrollbar of the browser advances. How can I make the applet
get the focus? Clicking on it with the mouse does not work apparently.

-If I use Internet Explorer (IE 7), the APPLET tag is not
recognized... Why? I cannot even find an option to see the Java
console? Is it somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,
Sergio

Andrew Thompson

*

>..but different bad things happen when I try to open the
> html file from a web browser:

I am completely not astounded.

> -If I use Opera, it starts OK, but then the applet never seems to get
> the focus. The applet must do things when I push a key, but pressing
> the key only affects the browser. For example, if I press the space
> bar, the scrollbar of the browser advances. How can I make the applet
> get the focus? Clicking on it with the mouse does not work apparently.

Sun never bothered to specify, or even suggest,
what should happen for the keyboard focus for
an applet in a web page (with or without other
applets).

As a result, any behaviour is 'OK'.

> -If I use Internet Explorer (IE 7), the APPLET tag is not
> recognized... Why? I cannot even find an option to see the Java
> console? Is it somewhere?

May be the Eolas patent thing, but I doubt it..
In any case, there is a simple answer to both
problems...

> Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

Launch the applet using web start, and the
focus will be on the applet, since it is
displayed uising the ..* applet viewer.

The applet completely avoids getting caught
up in the applet/browser/VM interaction
problem 'of the hour'.

Here is an example of web start launching
an applet.
<http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

HTH

Andrew T.