Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > passing value from jcombobox to other classes?

passing value from jcombobox to other classes?

towers.789@gmail.com

Hi

I have an Jcombobox with an ActionListener set up in a class called
"boxSelected", so that when the user clicks on the choice they're
after the result is sent to a jtext area.

public class boxlistener implements ActionListener {

if(e.getSource()==queryBox){
int selectedIndex =
queryBox.getSelectedIndex();
String boxSelected =
queryBox.getSelectedItem().toString();
System.out.println("Selected:
"+boxSelected);

String newline = "\n";

textArea.append(boxSelected + newline);

}

}

};

The class with the ActionListener, boxlistener, is actually nested
within another class, one called Editor.

My question is, can I pass this new string value, boxSelected, for use
in another class? I'm trying to create a new .java file with a
queryBuilder class and pass this string value for use with that class
there, so I can parse it into some queries.

I am still pretty new. Can anyone show me how to do this, or show me
what code I need? Any help would be really appreciated.

Regards,

John

zhengxianfu@gmail.com

On 2月3日, 下午5时09分, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have an Jcombobox with an ActionListener set up in a class called
> "boxSelected", so that when the user clicks on the choice they're
> after the result is sent to a jtext area.
>
> public class boxlistener implements ActionListener {
>
> public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
> if(e.getSource()==queryBox){
> int selectedIndex =
> queryBox.getSelectedIndex();
> String boxSelected =
> queryBox.getSelectedItem().toString();
> System.out.println("Selected:
> "+boxSelected);
>
> String newline = "\n";
>
> textArea.append(boxSelected + newline);
>
> }
>
> }
>
> };
>
> The class with the ActionListener, boxlistener, is actually nested
> within another class, one called Editor.
>
> My question is, can I pass this new string value, boxSelected, for use
> in another class? I'm trying to create a new .java file with a
> queryBuilder class and pass this string value for use with that class
> there, so I can parse it into some queries.
>
> I am still pretty new. Can anyone show me how to do this, or show me
> what code I need? Any help would be really appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

I am not quit understand you, by the way ,cann't you just create a
object of queryBuild and call its method?

towers.789@gmail.com

> I am not quit understand you, by the way ,cann't you just create a
> object of queryBuild and call its method?

I don't even have the experience to know how to do that at this stage.
I'm okay working with variables within the one class but I'm having
trouble passing them back and forth between classes and other .java
files, I think.

Regards,

John

Michael Rauscher

>> I am not quit understand you, by the way ,cann't you just create a
>> object of queryBuild and call its method?

> I don't even have the experience to know how to do that at this stage.
> I'm okay working with variables within the one class but I'm having
> trouble passing them back and forth between classes and other .java
> files, I think.

It doesn't matter in which file a class is defined. So, don't think
about files but classes and objects.

Open a file C.java in some good old text editor of your choice. Declare
a class A by typing the following into the editor:

class A {
private String x = "Initial Value";

public void setX( String x ) {
this.x = x;
}

public String getX() {
return x;
}
}

The public methods of this class (which form the interface of the class)
indicate, what you need to set x in an object of A. All you need is

a) a reference to an object of A
b) and to call setX

Sure, you want to prove it. Add the following to your C.java text file:

class B {
private A a; // the reference to an object of A

public B(A a) { // constructor that takes a reference to an object
this.a = a; // of A
}

public void doit() {
a.setX("New Value");
}
}

Last, we need a third class, one that only defines the main-method. Put
your hands on your keyboard and type the following:

public class C {
public static final void main( String args[] ) {
A a = new A(); // create a new instance of A
B b = new B(a); // create a new instance of B, passing the
// newly created instance of A to it.

System.out.println( a.getX() );
b.doit();
System.out.println( a.getX() );
}
}

Save C.java, compile it by executing "javac C.java". Run it by "java C"
and see what happens.

After that works, let's separate the classes into different files. So,
create two more files A.java and B.java, cut&paste the two classes A and
B into these files and declare them to be public (public class A, public
class B).

Delete the old *.class files. Then, execute "javac C.java" followed by
"java C". Also, have a look at your directory - there'll be three .class
files.

You should have some idea now, how to integrate this into your project.

Bye
Michael