Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > tomcat 5.5 deploy webapp in eclipse directory

tomcat 5.5 deploy webapp in eclipse directory

eunever32@yahoo.co.uk

Hi

I notice it is discouraged (not allowed) to use <Context> in
server.xml in tomcat 5.5
My tomcat is in
\tomcat\
webapps\
\jsp-examples
\servlet-examples

But my development environment is not located under my tomcat
installation

Instead it is in my eclipse workspace directory ie
\workspace
\WebApp\
\web
\WEB-INF
\web.xml

The documentation would seem to suggest that I need to build a .war
and deploy into \tomcat\webapps

But is this really necessary? What about hot-deploy of classes in
eclipse?

I tried to figure it out from the documentation but got lost in a sea
of verbosity.
(If it was unix I could easily use a symbolic link but this is
windows)

Can someone please enlighten me.

Rgds

none

> Hi
>
> I notice it is discouraged (not allowed) to use <Context> in
> server.xml in tomcat 5.5
> My tomcat is in
> \tomcat\
> webapps\
> \jsp-examples
> \servlet-examples
>
> But my development environment is not located under my tomcat
> installation
>
> Instead it is in my eclipse workspace directory ie
> \workspace
> \WebApp\
> \web
> \WEB-INF
> \web.xml
>
> The documentation would seem to suggest that I need to build a .war
> and deploy into \tomcat\webapps
>
> But is this really necessary? What about hot-deploy of classes in
> eclipse?
>
> I tried to figure it out from the documentation but got lost in a sea
> of verbosity.
> (If it was unix I could easily use a symbolic link but this is
> windows)
>
> Can someone please enlighten me.
>
> Rgds

you can add a context.xml file the directory:
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
This includes a 'docBase' attribute that can be used to specify the
directory of your app eg '\workspace\webapp\web'

See here for more details:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-...g/context.html

an example would be:
<Context docBase="C:\workspace\webapp\web">
</Context>

Tim Terry
www.tim.devisland.net