Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > hi 2 all

hi 2 all

Randolf Richardson

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:34:03 -0800, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Lew writes:
>
>>> What TOEFL course teaches the spelling "u" for "you", "4" for "for"

> Stefan Ram wrote:
>> »Secondary school students will be able to use text speak
>> in written examinations this year, legitimising a language
>> loved by teenagers.
>> The move has divided students and educators amid concerns
>> the move could damage the English language.
>> The second language of thousands of teenagers, text
>> language usually incorporates abbreviated words and
>> phrases such as txt for "text", lol for "laugh out loud"
>> or "lots of love" and CU for "see you".«
>> http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3854612a11,00.html

That looks a lot like "a school system admitting that they've failed to
teach proper English."

[sNip]
> I am sure looking forward to having a crop of illiterate, undereducated
> coworkers to come out of this system. There was a recent thread where

Isn't that happening today? It has been reported numerous times on the
local radio that some North American university students can't read or
write, and yet somehow this isn't discovered until they are confronted
with an exam.

> many folks endorsed the notion that effective communication skills are
> necessary for success as a programmer. If we do not help people
> recognize that "l33t" does not effectively communicate, nor is
> professional, then they will be hampered by their own lack of skill
> forever.

Myself, and a number of people I know who are in positions to hire
people, ignore resumes that are written in this style because bad English
always reflects poorly on the public. Proper English style (or at least
an attempt to get it right) is something that can be taught, but typically
those who go out of their way to reduce English to this cryptic style make
themselves look ignorant.

> Do we not owe it to folks in this forum to help them advance?

I thought your response was both witty and relevant.

--
Randolf Richardson - (E-Mail Removed)
The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)

Randolf Richardson

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:33:09 -0800, Luc The Perverse
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Lew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

[sNip]
>> Unless someone explicitly apologizes for their lack of command of
>> English, I will hold it a given that posting in English implies the
>> most basic familiarity with English syntax and orthography.
>>
>> As to the point of the recommended book being too advanced, you are
>> right. Next time I will recommend /Dick and Jane/ and a
>> subscription to /My Weekly Reader/.

> My god! Is everyone on the edge or something?

I rest my case that "proper English doesn't offend most people."

> What is wrong with answering questions with a gentle reminder to try to
> avoid 1337 speak and text message abbreviations . . . rather than
> replying with just an insult and no useful information?

Good point.

> I feel like I'm in alt.games.*

Maybe you should have cross-posted your reply. ;-D

[IRC command: /me ducks, then runs for cover...]

--
Randolf Richardson - (E-Mail Removed)
The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)
http://www.lumbercartel.ca/

Luc The Perverse

"Lew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Do we not owe it to folks in this forum to help them advance?

It is neither your right nor your obligation to change people who happen
upon a forum you visit and ask a simple question in a manner that doesn't
appeal to you.

Oh wait . . . That is what I do with top posters and non quoters all the
time.

Ahem . . what I mean is that you should still answer their question . . and
be more "Gentle" in your approach.

--
LTP

Luc The Perverse

"Randolf Richardson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-corporate.com...
> Myself, and a number of people I know who are in positions to hire
> people, ignore resumes that are written in this style because bad English
> always reflects poorly on the public. Proper English style (or at least
> an attempt to get it right) is something that can be taught, but typically
> those who go out of their way to reduce English to this cryptic style make
> themselves look ignorant.

WTF? Resumés written in l33t?

That's insane.

The most unprofessional thing I ever did involved some mild sexual inuendo
about getting "the head" of a tree structure which I had named Betty. I
didn't remember doing it . . but I felt a little stupid during a code review
meeting once. Everyone chuckled - but I felt sincerely stupid about the
incident.
--
LTP

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 2, 7:59 pm, "Luc The Perverse"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> . . and
> be more "Gentle" in your approach.

I* save my 'gentle' for c.l.j.help, mostly.

Posters to c.l.j.p. can either be greatful
for any response, or 'get stuffed'.

* Not that I had made any posts on this
thread, but just throwing my 2c worth in.

Andrew T.

Randolf Richardson

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 01:10:26 -0800, Luc The Perverse
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Randolf Richardson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-corporate.com...
>
>> Myself, and a number of people I know who are in positions to hire
>> people, ignore resumes that are written in this style because bad
>> English always reflects poorly on the public. Proper English style
>> (or at least an attempt to get it right) is something that can be
>> taught, but typically those who go out of their way to reduce
>> English to this cryptic style make themselves look ignorant.

> WTF? Resumés written in l33t?
>
> That's insane.

I suspect that many of these types eventually wind up in a political
career -- that seems to be a common destination for many insane people who
successfully dodge those really nice people who wear white coats and
always travel in pairs.

> The most unprofessional thing I ever did involved some mild sexual
> inuendo about getting "the head" of a tree structure which I had
> named Betty. I didn't remember doing it . . but I felt a little
> stupid during a code review meeting once. Everyone chuckled - but
> I felt sincerely stupid about the incident.

Skipped College, eh? ;-D