Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Json Parser anyone?

Json Parser anyone?

Ronin

Hi I'm looking for a pull json parser (similiar to kxml). Is there
anything like this out there yet? I googled but nothing comes up.

More importantly a j2me version would suite me just fine. If not
found, who is going to write it? you?

cheers
jk

Alex Hunsley

Ronin wrote:
> Hi I'm looking for a pull json parser (similiar to kxml). Is there
> anything like this out there yet? I googled but nothing comes up.
>
> More importantly a j2me version would suite me just fine. If not
> found, who is going to write it? you?

Maybe. What's your offering price/rate?

Daniel Pitts

On Jan 30, 7:17 am, "Ronin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi I'm looking for a pull json parser (similiar to kxml). Is there
> anything like this out there yet? I googled but nothing comes up.
>
> More importantly a j2me version would suite me just fine. If not
> found, who is going to write it? you?
>
> cheers
> jk

Hmm, JSon is Javascript native. eval(jsonData)

Perhaps you can change your output from json to xml.

Ronin

No I want to use Json, because of its higher compression, which is
important for J2ME where every byte of space counts. sending json data
over the air will also speedup the app considerably.

On Jan 31, 1:14 pm, Alex Hunsley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Ronin wrote:
> > Hi I'm looking for a pull json parser (similiar to kxml). Is there
> > anything like this out there yet? I googled but nothing comes up.

> > More importantly a j2me version would suite me just fine. If not
> > found, who is going to write it? you?

> Maybe. What's your offering price/rate?

hehe free?

sucks i guess i just have to write my own little parser for now. cheers

Daniel Pitts

(Please don't top post)
[Top posting corrected]
On Jan 30, 10:06 pm, "Ronin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2:56 am, "Daniel Pitts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 30, 7:17 am, "Ronin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:> Hi I'm looking for a pulljsonparser(similiar to kxml). Is there
> > > anything like this out there yet? I googled but nothing comes up.

> > > More importantly a j2me version would suite me just fine. If not
> > > found, who is going to write it? you?

> > > cheers
> > > jk

> > Hmm,JSonis Javascript native. eval(jsonData)

> > Perhaps you can change your output fromjsonto xml.

> No I want to use Json, because of its higher compression, which is
> important for J2ME where every byte of space counts. sending json data
> over the air will also speedup the app considerably.

Perhaps you would be better off using Serialized objects if size is an
issue. Or, if you don't need extensibility, just send a predetermined
binary format.

You could also look into the java.util.Properties input/output format.
Hope this helps.
Daniel.

Alex Hunsley

Ronin wrote:
> On Jan 31, 1:14 pm, Alex Hunsley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ronin wrote:
>>> Hi I'm looking for a pull json parser (similiar to kxml). Is there
>>> anything like this out there yet? I googled but nothing comes up.
>>> More importantly a j2me version would suite me just fine. If not
>>> found, who is going to write it? you?

>> Maybe. What's your offering price/rate?

> hehe free?

The best way to get 'free' is to write it yourself!
Of course people can and do write free software (and 'free' in several
different senses of the word), but it would be a little unusual to post
here and find someone willing to write something for you, at random, on
spec like that...

> sucks i guess i just have to write my own little parser for now. cheers

What's wrong with the Java impl given at the Json site?
http://www.json.org/java/index.html

lex

Alex Hunsley

Daniel Pitts wrote:
> (Please don't top post)
> [Top posting corrected]
> On Jan 30, 10:06 pm, "Ronin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Jan 31, 2:56 am, "Daniel Pitts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 30, 7:17 am, "Ronin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:> Hi I'm looking for a pulljsonparser(similiar to kxml). Is there
>>> Hmm,JSonis Javascript native. eval(jsonData)
>>> Perhaps you can change your output fromjsonto xml.

>> No I want to use Json, because of its higher compression, which is
>> important for J2ME where every byte of space counts. sending json data
>> over the air will also speedup the app considerably.

Btw, one thing to consider is that I believe the GPRS packet size is
1kilobyte. In other words, if you retrieve just ten bytes (for example),
a 1kb packet is still sent over the GPRS network. And one kilobyte plus
a few bytes of data cause two whole kilobytes of GPRS data to be sent,
and so on.

The choice of something like Json/xml versus a set binary format depends
quite a bit on how flexible the data you are sending is. Does it always
have the same fields, in same order, in same amounts? Or is more
flexibility needed?

> Perhaps you would be better off using Serialized objects if size is an
> issue. Or, if you don't need extensibility, just send a predetermined
> binary format.

Whoops, I think I just reiterated above what you say about
'extensibility'...

lex

> You could also look into the java.util.Properties input/output format.
> Hope this helps.
> Daniel.

Randolf Richardson

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:38:30 -0800, Alex Hunsley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[sNip]
> The choice of something like Json/xml versus a set binary format depends
> quite a bit on how flexible the data you are sending is. Does it always
> have the same fields, in same order, in same amounts? Or is more
> flexibility needed?

[sNip]

The format of binary data can also be quite flexible (consider, for
example, DNS), but that depends on how much work one wants to put into
it. Using something that's already well-known can save a lot of
development time.

--
Randolf Richardson - (E-Mail Removed)
The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)