Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > If I write java program for Windows, will it run on a PDA or Cell Phone?

If I write java program for Windows, will it run on a PDA or Cell Phone?

BillJosephson

I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

Thanks a lot...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

BillJosephson wrote:
> I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
> would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
> Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

Linux: yes.

PDA/Cell Phone - only if you use J2ME.

Arne

John W. Kennedy

BillJosephson wrote:
> I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
> would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
> Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

The main Java language is OK, but handling the screen, the keys, and the
digitizer has to be done specially. The usable features available on
PDAs and phones are just too different from those of a regular computer,
and from one PDA or phone to another, for Java to cover.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

BillJosephson

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> BillJosephson wrote:
> > I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
> > would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
> > Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

> Linux: yes.
>
> PDA/Cell Phone - only if you use J2ME.
>
> Arne

Is J2ME very different from java? I know programming C for a Palm
pilot required a very different approach than programming C for a PC,
due to memory,

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

BillJosephson wrote:
> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> BillJosephson wrote:
>>> I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
>>> would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
>>> Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

>> Linux: yes.
>>
>> PDA/Cell Phone - only if you use J2ME.

> Is J2ME very different from java? I know programming C for a Palm
> pilot required a very different approach than programming C for a PC,
> due to memory,

J2ME is Java (Java 2 Micro Edition).

It is a scaled down version of Java intended for
devices with little memory.

There are some differences.

You can read more here http://java.sun.com/javame/index.jsp !

Arne

BillJosephson

John W. Kennedy wrote:
> BillJosephson wrote:
> > I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
> > would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
> > Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

> The main Java language is OK, but handling the screen, the keys, and the
> digitizer has to be done specially. The usable features available on
> PDAs and phones are just too different from those of a regular computer,
> and from one PDA or phone to another, for Java to cover.
>
> --
> John W. Kennedy
> "The blind rulers of Logres
> Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
> -- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"

Thanks, I see your point. How then do developers handle it if the built
in java tools and guis don't work? Do they have to write custom code
for each PDA or cell phone? Are there APIs released by the phone
manufacturers?

Thanks much.

BillJosephson

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> BillJosephson wrote:
> > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> >> Linux: yes.
> >>
> >> PDA/Cell Phone - only if you use J2ME.

> > Is J2ME very different from java? I know programming C for a Palm
> > pilot required a very different approach than programming C for a PC,
> > due to memory,

> J2ME is Java (Java 2 Micro Edition).
>
> It is a scaled down version of Java intended for
> devices with little memory.
>
> There are some differences.
>
> You can read more here http://java.sun.com/javame/index.jsp !
>
> Arne

Thanks Arne...

John W. Kennedy

BillJosephson wrote:
> John W. Kennedy wrote:
>> BillJosephson wrote:
>>> I guess that says it. I want to write a tool to use on my PC, but I
>>> would like it to run on Linux, and a Palm or some other PDA, or a Cell
>>> Phone. It would be a pretty simple program.

>> The main Java language is OK, but handling the screen, the keys, and the
>> digitizer has to be done specially. The usable features available on
>> PDAs and phones are just too different from those of a regular computer,
>> and from one PDA or phone to another, for Java to cover.
>>
>> --
>> John W. Kennedy
>> "The blind rulers of Logres
>> Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
>> -- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"

> Thanks, I see your point. How then do developers handle it if the built
> in java tools and guis don't work? Do they have to write custom code
> for each PDA or cell phone? Are there APIs released by the phone
> manufacturers?

The good ones have 'em. As others have said, you need the Micro Edition.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres