Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Possible to use Codewarrior 7 to program under WinXT?

Possible to use Codewarrior 7 to program under WinXT?

Lew

BillJosephson wrote:
> Lew, do you do much graphical interfacd development? I've used emacs,
> and I wonder if it has tools like graphical interface development tools
> these days. Also, how does it do in integrating with APIs (I mean
> toolboxes that work with a parcitular OS)?

I am not using emacs for heavy development these days because Netbeans is
stronger for Java. When I used emacs for C++ I did not miss GUI wizards, I
just programmed from the source text and did many compile/run cycles to test
the output. I would also write a GUI-only facade and test it, then inherit
that to fill in the logic (sort of a "poor-man's MVC" before I was familiar
with the MVC pattern).

To step back, your question has me re-evaluate my position. I still use emacs
for small, quick steps, but I think by now I am addicted to IDEs for major
sessions of work.

- Lew

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Lew wrote:
>>> All versions of NetBeans are free.

> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> A long time ago SUN sold a modified NetBeans as Forte for Java.

> Which was not called NetBeans.

It is still a version of NetBeans even though it
does not have NetBeans in the name.

WSAD is also a version of Eclipse.

WAS CE is a version of Geronimo.

IBM HTTPD is a version of Apache HTTPD.

Etc.

Arne

BillJosephson

Lew wrote:
> > Lew wrote:
> >> For gcc C/ C++, I have found nothing I like better than emacs, make and gdb.
> >>
> >> emacs has wonderful integration for these tools.
> >>
> >> For Java I prefer Netbeans. I also use Eclipse and WebSphere Application
> >> Developer, also emacs + Ant. I have used a handful of others.

> BillJosephson wrote:
> > Lew, do you do much graphical interfacd development? I've used emacs,
> > and I wonder if it has tools like graphical interface development tools
> > these days. Also, how does it do in integrating with APIs (I mean
> > toolboxes that work with a parcitular OS)?

> I am not using emacs for heavy development these days because Netbeans is
> stronger for Java. When I used emacs for C++ I did not miss GUI wizards, I
> just programmed from the source text and did many compile/run cycles to test
> the output. I would also write a GUI-only facade and test it, then inherit
> that to fill in the logic (sort of a "poor-man's MVC" before I was familiar
> with the MVC pattern).
>
> To step back, your question has me re-evaluate my position. I still use emacs
> for small, quick steps, but I think by now I am addicted to IDEs for major
> sessions of work.
>
> - Lew

Yeah, Codewarrior on the Mac did that for me. I am spoiled. There was a
pretty nice IDE under KDE on Linux, not sure what's up with that now.
Since you seem a nice chap....can you suggest the quickest thing to
read to get on top of net beans enough to configure it like a good IDE?
When I took a java class I downloaded it along with the runtime engine
from Sun, so I figure it must be OK, but it seemed like it was going to
take some time (read: too much RTFM) to get going so I did the class
with jGRASP. Not a very good environment though. So if you have any
suggestions that would be great. Maybe the supplied docs are the way to
go though. Just was hoping for something like the third party books
that got me up and running with Codewarrior so much faster than the
voluminous Metrowerks docs.

Thanks...

Mike Schilling

Lew wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>> All versions of NetBeans are free.

> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> A long time ago SUN sold a modified NetBeans as Forte for Java.

ITYM "Attempted to sell".

> Which was not called NetBeans.

At times it was and at times not. The basic Forte for Java was free and was
clearly a packaged and branded version of Netbeans. Sun attempted to sell
"advanced" Netbeans modules for building web applications and EJBs.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Mike Schilling wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...

>> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>> A long time ago SUN sold a modified NetBeans as Forte for Java.

> ITYM "Attempted to sell".

About right.

Arne

Using C++ whith CodeWarrior Tiago C++ 0 02-07-2008 08:37 PM
Possible to use Codewarrior 7 to program under WinXT? BillJosephson C++ 32 02-18-2007 10:17 PM
CodeWarrior Automation with Python? brianhray@gmail.com Python 0 06-14-2005 08:38 PM
Codewarrior for MacOSX warning msgs Sean Bartholomew C++ 4 07-14-2004 07:07 AM
Codewarrior: am I compiling with debug on ? Søren Grønbech C++ 2 06-30-2003 09:41 AM

Advertisments