Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Swing stands for what?

Swing stands for what?

Guy

We bought Install Shield 11.5 Java Edition and I have to program it. It
uses the Swing packages for the GUI elements and control, but I could
not find anywhere on the net where the "Swing" acronym stands for.

Is it based on "simple windowing" or something ?

Tx.

Paul Hamaker

Codename for a project, actually :
"Project Swing. The javax.swing package of classes is used to create
GUI components for applets and applications. Project Swing classes
enable programmers to specify a different look and feel for each
platform, or a uniform look across all platforms. Swing is the project
code name for the lightweight GUI components in Java Foundation Classes
(JFC)."
http://java.sun.com/developer/online...elingjava.html
--
http://javalessons.com Paul Hamaker, SEMM
Teaching ICT since 1987

Daniel Dyer

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:46:23 -0000, Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We bought Install Shield 11.5 Java Edition and I have to program it. It
> uses the Swing packages for the GUI elements and control, but I could
> not find anywhere on the net where the "Swing" acronym stands for.
>
> Is it based on "simple windowing" or something ?

I was going to respond with a witty acronymn, but it's beyond me, so I
guess I'll just have to give you the real answer:

http://blogs.sun.com/thejavatutorial...g_called_swing

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
https://watchmaker.dev.java.net - Evolutionary Algorithm Framework for Java

Guy

Got it. No fancy acronym. Swing like the dance...Tx

Luc The Perverse

"Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Got it. No fancy acronym. Swing like the dance...Tx

Java, cookie (I guess that is more JS), applet, bean . . . none of the words
really mean anything, they were just jazzy

--LTP

Andrew Thompson

Luc The Perverse wrote:
> "Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Got it. No fancy acronym. Swing like the dance...Tx

> Java, cookie (I guess that is more JS),

web-start has 'muffins' (do pretty much the same thing)
(their reasoning is that it goes with their 'Coffee' analogy,
though I usually hava a smoke with my coffee..)

>...applet,

cigar -> cigarette
application -> applet.

I think that means that when lit and inhaled, applets
are better for you, than applications. ..or maybe it
just means they 'stink less' (shrugs).

>..bean . . .

Again with the coffee..

>...none of the words really mean anything,

No, and the coffee allusion was always rather silly, and
even more irritating in that Java is the proper name for
an island of Indonesia, as well as being slang for coffee.
(Personally, If I was from Java - I'd sue Sun for the damage
they had done to the local tourist industry)

>..they were just jazzy

It would be nice to think that Swing relates to
Jazz (Dance, Trance & Be-Bop..), but Sun's own
images tend to suggest Swing/Merry-Go-Round/Seesaw.

I am not sure what that is supposed to mean about
people who develop Swing based GUI's.. (perhaps that
they are children who have been fed coffee?)

Andrew T.