Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Problem with Netbeans 5.5 web tutorial

Problem with Netbeans 5.5 web tutorial

j.

Hello: I am trying to use the tutorial: "Introduction to Developing Web
Applications". I am not getting the end result that the tutorial says I
should get. After I run the program as they suggest I get the
appropriate web page. I enter my name, but when I click the submit
button the page I get back has the star (*) symbol; Hello, *!. The
tutorial suggests that I should get my name back; Hello, John!

I am using Netbeans 5.5. I selected the Tomcat server, and Java
blueprints.

How can I get my name back as the tutorial suggests?

Thanks in Advance
John

vjg

j. wrote:
> Hello: I am trying to use the tutorial: "Introduction to Developing Web
> Applications". I am not getting the end result that the tutorial says I
> should get. After I run the program as they suggest I get the
> appropriate web page. I enter my name, but when I click the submit
> button the page I get back has the star (*) symbol; Hello, *!. The
> tutorial suggests that I should get my name back; Hello, John!
>
> I am using Netbeans 5.5. I selected the Tomcat server, and Java
> blueprints.
>
> How can I get my name back as the tutorial suggests?
>
> Thanks in Advance
> John

It's not likely that anyone here is going to run and analyze the named
tutorial to see what might be wrong with it. I suggest you post the
code you're using and we can help you look at that. It is highly likely
that you have done something wrong while following the tutorial.

- Virgil

j.

> It's not likely that anyone here is going to run and analyze the named
> tutorial to see what might be wrong with it. I suggest you post the
> code you're using and we can help you look at that. It is highly likely
> that you have done something wrong while following the tutorial.
>
> - Virgil

Hello Virgil: Point taken. Here are some code snippets that are
relevant to the project. I am posting snippets in order to avoid the
clutter. I also have checked and rechecked the tutorial going over
every word. I did this yesterday and today. Yes, I know how easy it is
to think that I am doing something correctly, but not reading it
correctly from the tutorial, hence the 24 hour break from it.

index.jsp snippet
<form name="Name_Input_Form" action="response.jsp">
<input type="text" name="name" value="" /><input type="submit"
value="OK" />
</form>

response.jsp snippet
<jsp:useBean id="mybean" scope="session"
class="org.me.hello.NameHandler" />
<jsp:setProperty name="mybean" property="name" value="*" />
<h1>Hello, <jsp:getProperty name="mybean" property="name"
/>!</h1>

The bean is associated with the NameHandler class

public class NameHandler {
private String name;
/** Creates a new instance of NameHandler */
public NameHandler() {
}

public void setName(String name) {
this.name = name;
}

public String getName() {
return name;
}

}

Shinya Koizumi

Believe or not, I did go through the tutorial.

The problem is you are setting "*" to the value

<%--<jsp:setProperty name="mybean" property="name" value="*" />--%>

<jsp:setProperty name="mybean" property="*" />

Shinya

j.

Thank You! It works . j.