Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Clicking on Sun Java Plugin installation evokes 3 basic java setup questions

Clicking on Sun Java Plugin installation evokes 3 basic java setup questions

Bonnie Johnson

Can you advise me, a Windows XP user who knows nothing about Java.

Here's what transpired moments ago when I pointed my browser to
dslreports.com for the first time and I elected to "install the java
plugin".

1. Within a few moments, I was presented with this question.
Windows installer is trying to access the Internet.
Application: msiexec.exe
Destination IP: 216.52.17.158:HTTPS
Accept? Deny?

2. A progress bar popped up saying
Please wait while the Install Wizard installs
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10.
This may take several minutes.

3. Then I was asked this question.
The program SunJavaUpdateSched has registered the executable
C:\Program Files\Java\jrel1.5.0_10\bin\jusched.exe to run at system
startup.
Do you wish to allow this change?

QUESTION 1: Why should Windows Installer ask to connect to the Internet?
Should I have accepted or denied that request to connect to the
Internet?

QUESTION 2: How do we know automatically installed java is the LATEST
java?
Can we control WHICH java a web page asks for?
Can a badly written web page install an OLDER java than the latest?

QUESTION 3: Why does java only run in "Program Files".
I don't even have a C:\Program Files directory on my Windows XP
computer. Now I do. But only for this Sun Java.
Why should I be forced to have a program files directory just for Sun
java?
Is there a way to tell the plugin to install in the proper location?

Can you advise me on these three question please?

Ian Wilson

Bonnie Johnson wrote:
> QUESTION 1: Why should Windows Installer ask to connect to the Internet?
> Should I have accepted or denied that request to connect to the
> Internet?
>
> QUESTION 2: How do we know automatically installed java is the LATEST
> java?
> Can we control WHICH java a web page asks for?
> Can a badly written web page install an OLDER java than the latest?
>
> QUESTION 3: Why does java only run in "Program Files".
> I don't even have a C:\Program Files directory on my Windows XP
> computer. Now I do. But only for this Sun Java.
> Why should I be forced to have a program files directory just for Sun
> java?
> Is there a way to tell the plugin to install in the proper location?
>
> Can you advise me on these three question please?

You actually have eight questions not three!

1. These days it is common for the installer to download the installed
package from the Internet.

2. You should accept the request to connect to the Internet if you are
sure it relates to a software installation that you initiated.

3. You can check the version of an installed Java runtime (JRE) against
the java.com website. The version number is listed in all the usual places.

4. As an end user I don't know of any way of controlling what version of
Java a web page asks for.

5. I believe that Web pages using Java web start can ensure that the
recipient has the correct version of Java for the application. The
version required may not necessarily be the latest. This may not be a
problem as I understand that several different versions of Java can
exist on a computer at the same time.

6. "Program Files" is where Microsoft want developers to arrange that
their software be installed. It is no surprise to me that Sun fit in
with the wishes of the developer of the operating system.

7. You should ask Microsoft why they think it is a good idea for all
applications to be installed in the folder named Program Files.

8. There may be a way to get the JRE and browser-plugin installed to a
directory of your choice but I don't know how. Many installers ask this
but I can't remember if the JRE installer did.

Andrew Thompson

Bonnie Johnson wrote:
> Can you advise me, a Windows XP user who knows nothing about Java.
>
> Here's what transpired moments ago when I pointed my browser to
> dslreports.com

Who? They may point to the correct place, but it
is simpler just to go there yourself and get it.
www.java.com/getjava/

Assuming you do that, I will answer these questions
for the 'real Java'.

> QUESTION 1: Why should Windows Installer ask to connect to the Internet?
> Should I have accepted or denied that request to connect to the
> Internet?

The win installer often comes as a tiny file that knows
where to get the big bits, and can save you (a lot of)
time by only downloading the parts you need. For example,
support for non-english languages is a chunk of a few
megabytes, it the installer determines you don't need
it - it is not downloaded.

> QUESTION 2: How do we know automatically installed java is the LATEST
> java?

The Java plug-in should connect to the internet
occasionally on start-up and check for updates.
I recommend you let Java update when it requests
to do so. Sun is very careful to ensure that bugs
are fixed quickly - especially those which might
compromise your security or privacy - but that is
no good unless you allow the installer to update.

> Can we control WHICH java a web page asks for?

Huh? You are not thinking of MS Java, are you?
(There are a number of manufacturers of fine 'Java
Plug-Ins' besides Sun - MS is *not* one of them).

> Can a badly written web page install an OLDER java than the latest?

Good point. Yes. There are some that might argue
otherwise, but for you as an end user, I would *strongly*
recommend you *refuse* any download of 'earlier' plug-ins.

This can lead to installing earlier versions that might
potentially have security bugs. Inform the site hosts
you cannot afford to risk that, and to come 'here'
for further advice.

> QUESTION 3: Why does java only run in "Program Files".
> I don't even have a C:\Program Files directory on my Windows XP
> computer. Now I do. But only for this Sun Java.
> Why should I be forced to have a program files directory just for Sun
> java?
> Is there a way to tell the plugin to install in the proper location?

That would be what? (I have score of programs that are
all installed in 'Program Files' - including MS software).

> Can you advise me on these three question please?

Sure. But it was 5 questions, so I'll have to
charge you extra.

(Note follow-ups set to c.l.j.help only)

HTH

Andrew T.