Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Which version of Tomcat?

Which version of Tomcat?

meemee

>> I didn't see MySQL 5.0 for Linux.

> http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
> 7 different distributions right below the Windows binaries

I am sorry, I meant , Tomcat.

> I didn't see MySQL 5.0 for Linux.

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html

7 different distributions right below the Windows binaries

At http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi, under CORE are 3 options:

zip (pgp, md5)
tar.gz (pgp, md5)
Windows Service Installer ( pgp, md5)

Which one do I download for XP and whch one for Linux?

READ ME -
http://apache.mirrormax.net/tomcat/t...20/README.html - gives
the followings:

Packaging Details (or "What Should I Download?")

apache-tomcat-[version].zip or .tar.gz: base distro, all non-embedded
users download this.
apache-tomcat-[version].exe: Windows installer with base distro
contents + Windows installation.
apache-tomcat-[version]-admin.zip or .tar.gz: the Tomcat Administration
webapp only.
apache-tomcat-[version]-compat.zip or .tar.gz: required in addition to
the base distro for using tomcat with a Java 1.4 environment.
apache-tomcat-[version]-deployer.zip or .tar.gz: the standalone Tomcat
Web Application Deployer.
apache-tomcat-[version]-embed.zip or .tar.gz: for using Tomcat only as
an embedded servlet container.

Thomas Kellerer

meemee wrote on 09.01.2007 19:48:
> At http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi, under CORE are 3 options:
>
> zip (pgp, md5)
> tar.gz (pgp, md5)
> Windows Service Installer ( pgp, md5)
>
> Which one do I download for XP and whch one for Linux?

As Tomcat is implemented in Java, you can use the core download for Windows and
Linux. If you need to run Tomcat as a Service in Windows (it needs to be running
even when nobody is logged in), then you should download the Windows installer.

Thomas

Lew

> meemee wrote on 09.01.2007 19:48:
>> At http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi, under CORE are 3 options:
>>
>> zip (pgp, md5)
>> tar.gz (pgp, md5)
>> Windows Service Installer ( pgp, md5)
>>
>> Which one do I download for XP and whch one for Linux?

..zip and .exe are two of the traditional distribution formats for Win.
..tar.gz (also seen as .tgz) and .bin are two of the traditional distribution
formats for UNIX.

In each case, the first format is an archive and the second an executable.

You will see this bifurcation on many sites.

The "pgp" and "md5" links are text files containing verification information
for their respective files. The first is a digital signature, readable with
PGP and GPG. The second is an MD5 hash value, to compare to the results of
running the "md5" utility on the downloaded file.

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> As Tomcat is implemented in Java, you can use the core download for
> Windows and Linux. If you need to run Tomcat as a Service in Windows (it
> needs to be running even when nobody is logged in), then you should
> download the Windows installer.

Incidentally, if you want to use your Windows Tomcat with Netbeans, you will
need batch files that come with the core download (.zip) but not the service
installer (.exe). Netbeans itself will supply those files if you have
installed the service version, but this goes against the point of having a
service. Netbeans likes to start and stop the Tomcat server; the service
approach is more for constant availability scenarios.

- Lew

meemee

Lew wrote:
> > meemee wrote on 09.01.2007 19:48:
> >> At http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi, under CORE are 3 options:
> >>
> >> zip (pgp, md5)
> >> tar.gz (pgp, md5)
> >> Windows Service Installer ( pgp, md5)
> >>
> >> Which one do I download for XP and whch one for Linux?

> .zip and .exe are two of the traditional distribution formats for Win.
> .tar.gz (also seen as .tgz) and .bin are two of the traditional distribution
> formats for UNIX.

I see.

> In each case, the first format is an archive and the second an executable.
>
> You will see this bifurcation on many sites.

Okay.

> The "pgp" and "md5" links are text files containing verification information
> for their respective files. The first is a digital signature, readable with
> PGP and GPG. The second is an MD5 hash value, to compare to the results of
> running the "md5" utility on the downloaded file.

Thanks for the explanation.

> Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> > As Tomcat is implemented in Java, you can use the core download for
> > Windows and Linux. If you need to run Tomcat as a Service in Windows (it
> > needs to be running even when nobody is logged in), then you should
> > download the Windows installer.

> Incidentally, if you want to use your Windows Tomcat with Netbeans, you will
> need batch files that come with the core download (.zip) but not the service
> installer (.exe). Netbeans itself will supply those files if you have
> installed the service version, but this goes against the point of having a
> service.

I do plan to use Netbeans - isntalled once but couldn't figure out
using it at the time. It was just for regular java programs, not
servlet or jsp.

I don't understand the part " this goes against the point of a having a
service". From reading below, I think what you meant was that by using
Netbeans, Tomcat server will not be constantly available.

> Netbeans likes to start and stop the Tomcat server; the service
> approach is more for constant availability scenarios.

Since what I am doing is for studying purpose inlcuding learning to use
Netbeans, I guess I'll have to put up with Netbeans's control on Tomcat
starting and stopping. Am I right?

> - Lew

Thomas Kellerer

meemee wrote on 10.01.2007 18:20:
> Since what I am doing is for studying purpose inlcuding learning to use
> Netbeans, I guess I'll have to put up with Netbeans's control on Tomcat
> starting and stopping. Am I right?

NetBeans comes with Tomcat built-in, there is no need for you to download and
install one if it's just for development.

I for one always use the bundled Tomcat for development. I have never installed
an external Tomcat for development, sometimes for testing (but then only if I
suspected the "internal" Tomcat to be the root cause of a problem)

Thomas

meemee

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> meemee wrote on 10.01.2007 18:20:
> > Since what I am doing is for studying purpose inlcuding learning to use
> > Netbeans, I guess I'll have to put up with Netbeans's control on Tomcat
> > starting and stopping. Am I right?

> NetBeans comes with Tomcat built-in, there is no need for you to download and
> install one if it's just for development.

Oh, okay.

> I for one always use the bundled Tomcat for development. I have never installed
> an external Tomcat for development, sometimes for testing (but then only if I
> suspected the "internal" Tomcat to be the root cause of a problem)

I see.

Thanks.

> Thomas

IchBin

meemee wrote:
> Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>> meemee wrote on 10.01.2007 18:20:
>>> Since what I am doing is for studying purpose inlcuding learning to use
>>> Netbeans, I guess I'll have to put up with Netbeans's control on Tomcat
>>> starting and stopping. Am I right?

>> NetBeans comes with Tomcat built-in, there is no need for you to download and
>> install one if it's just for development.

> Oh, okay.
>
>> I for one always use the bundled Tomcat for development. I have never installed
>> an external Tomcat for development, sometimes for testing (but then only if I
>> suspected the "internal" Tomcat to be the root cause of a problem)

> I see.
>
> Thanks.
>> Thomas

Yea, the only time I ever had two instances of Tomcat on my machine was
when I was hosting my sit off my PC and had Netbeans and its own
instance of Tomcat.

--
Thanks in Advance... http://weconsul.zendurl.com
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://ichbinquotations.awardspace.com