Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Final project in java course,need some help.

Final project in java course,need some help.

tomerdr@gmail.com

Hi,
I am taking a course in java programming as part of my B.Sc in computer
science
And for the final project i need to create a sockets based multithreads
server
I would like to create a streaming media server and a j2me client
running on mobile devices,
The media should be sent using the UDP protocol.
Since i need to focus on the communication side
I am looking for a package which can break video file into frames which
can be sent
as UDP packets

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Pitts

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
> I am taking a course in java programming as part of my B.Sc in computer
> science
> And for the final project i need to create a sockets based multithreads
> server
> I would like to create a streaming media server and a j2me client
> running on mobile devices,
> The media should be sent using the UDP protocol.
> Since i need to focus on the communication side
> I am looking for a package which can break video file into frames which
> can be sent
> as UDP packets
>
> Thanks in advance.

Look into JMF.
Java Media Framework.

tomerdr@gmail.com

Thanks.can it be used to break a file into suitable packets?

Daniel Pitts wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am taking a course in java programming as part of my B.Sc in computer
> > science
> > And for the final project i need to create a sockets based multithreads
> > server
> > I would like to create a streaming media server and a j2me client
> > running on mobile devices,
> > The media should be sent using the UDP protocol.
> > Since i need to focus on the communication side
> > I am looking for a package which can break video file into frames which
> > can be sent
> > as UDP packets
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> Look into JMF.
> Java Media Framework.

John Ersatznom

Daniel Pitts wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>I am taking a course in java programming as part of my B.Sc in computer
>>science
>>And for the final project i need to create a sockets based multithreads
>>server
>>I would like to create a streaming media server and a j2me client
>>running on mobile devices,
>>The media should be sent using the UDP protocol.
>>Since i need to focus on the communication side
>>I am looking for a package which can break video file into frames which
>>can be sent
>>as UDP packets
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

> Look into JMF.
> Java Media Framework.

The course assignment might have restrictions on use of third-party
libraries. After all, with the right third party libraries a LOT of
assignments of this nature may reduce to a trivial

public static void main (String [] args) {
Foo foo = new Foo();
foo.bar();
}

Mind you, creating a client *and* a server probably requires at least
two of the above, no matter what library you use...

(Remember that it's possible, using the *core Java libraries only*, to
make a very crude but semifunctional Web browser in a handful of lines
of code, most of which call into Swing and instantiate a window with an
HTML-rendering text pane class buried somewhere in javax.*...yes, a Web
browser! I wouldn't be surprised if J2EE adds the capability for a
three-liner to be a basic but functional HTTP server. If JMF is at all
comparably-capable for media services, it isn't hard to extrapolate.)

Daniel Pitts

[top posting corrected]
> Daniel Pitts wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I am taking a course in java programming as part of my B.Sc in computer
> > > science
> > > And for the final project i need to create a sockets based multithreads
> > > server
> > > I would like to create a streaming media server and a j2me client
> > > running on mobile devices,
> > > The media should be sent using the UDP protocol.
> > > Since i need to focus on the communication side
> > > I am looking for a package which can break video file into frames which
> > > can be sent
> > > as UDP packets
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.

> > Look into JMF.
> > Java Media Framework.

> Thanks.can it be used to break a file into suitable packets?

A: Because top posting makes it hard to follow
Q: Why?
A: Put it bellow.
Q: Should I put my reply above or below the quote.

To answer your question... I don't know, look it up yourself.

Andrew Thompson

Daniel Pitts wrote:

> A: Because top posting makes it hard to follow
> Q: Why?
> A: Put it bellow.

A very loud utterance (like the sound of an animal)?
Or did sir, perhaps mean, 'below'.*

> Q: Should I put my reply above or below the quote.

* Though it made for a (slightly) funny joke, my
note has a deeper meaning. People who read
that but are not familiar with english might do a
search on 'bellow' - and get very confused.

OTOH, on-top/under, first/last, before/after..
are all clearer ( and easier to spell .

Andrew T.